Jump to content

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation since 10/17/2021 in all areas

  1. There is no problem with rebanding French tracks. They are very similar to the LAR tracks that you can buy new for $14k. There is no reason to try and replicate the bands that the French made...using the motorcycle chain - modern conveyor belting will work great. The only "issue" is what to do, if anything, for road pads. The French pads were integral to the bands and go between two grousers. That is an approach, but one could also bolt road pads where the belting is attached to the grousers. I am about ready to order a set of bands....will share what I come up with. In the meantime, here are my two sets + of French tracks and some extra original style. The French tracks are heavy buggers.
    1 point
  2. I did not say re-banding would not work. I just never gave it any serious thought as it does not appear economical to do so and have a good result. If it were me and I wanted french tracks I would get a set that is good enough to use as is. Just take it easy with them and they may be just fine. Maybe Patrick will sell you a set. I have used conveyor belt on several weasels over the years using the original track. Other than the time consuming job of busting out the old rivets it is a reasonably straight forward proposition. I don't know what the cost would be for a set of old original tracks with somewhat decent pads so that is a factor. Anyway the weasel hobby is expensive these days and it is getting more so. Maybe you could look for a donor weasel like some do and make one good one out of two? Don't get discouraged just become informed and make your best decision based on what you learn. Dan
    1 point
  3. The issue with the french track for what your planning is the grousers are narrow in width and are designed for the thicker heavier french track rubber with embedded roller chain between them. This allows for a smooth surface for the bogie wheels to roll on. I think the french track is a very strong track and is easier to get on and off the weasel. It is less prone to jumping off during turning. The downside to the french track is the weight and they slow the weasel down. I had a set once on a weasel and could never get the weasel to run much over 12mph where with the original track the weasel would go 25+. These are the conclusions I came to from owning a good set of both types and actually using them. As a matter of fact the french track weasel is still in operation today. So basically if you can rebuild the french track like it was originally you would have a good long lasting track. Today much of the rubber from that era is cracked and water has gotten into the roller chain and rusted it out so unless you have several tracks to swap rubber from which it sounds like patrick does you are facing the same problems that all original weasel tracks suffer from. Dan
    1 point
  4. I am picking up two sets of French tracks tomorrow. I am definitely rebuilding one set.....will have more for you after I get a little further along.
    1 point
  5. Interesting, very interesting. Thanks for sharing the pics Patrick. Stay Safe Everyone. Later 42rocker
    1 point
  6. I would be very interested in the box as well. I have the original casting bracket, Steve Greenberg makes them. But the compass uses a thin brass (I believe) housing with side panels. I have the drawing for the side panel I got from Steve, but I never found the main housing drawing. Dave
    1 point
  7. Mine is named "jingle belle" for the dinging noise from gravel in the boogies, and the play on words from wwii aircraft and of course jingle bells!
    1 point
  8. Lately I have been working on a way to replace the nonexistent rubber on some return rollers. I noticed some of these parts had previously been replaced with rubber strips and adhesive. It seems it bonded well only thing the years were not kind to the rubber. I have material and adhesive on order so now we were touching up a slightly bent and dented rim. I cleaned the rim with the wire wheel then with plumbing flux and 50/50 solder tinned the rim in the area of the dent. Very much like how Patrick filled the imperfections on his Weasel hull. After filling and smoothing twice it is close enough for now. I think the contact cement will fill the small voids left. Fred
    1 point
  9. Herewith the pictures of the caps:
    1 point
×
×
  • Create New...