M29C 10629 get it moving

F-D Zernia

@F-D ZerniaWeasels are a labour of love and your repairs are a living testament to that statement. I went the extra mile and machined grease ways in my selector shafts. Getting that shift mechanism initially apart was a nightmare however with the added grease ways the next custodian will have no trouble getting it apart. As an added bonus though, shifting is smooth.

IMG_1475.JPG

IMG_1476.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My M29 is pretty sloppy.....I did a quicky refurb on the mechanism.  There is a lot going on with the shifting mechanism and control rods so I think you really need to go thru it - like @OZM29C John did...if you want a really nicely shifting Weasel.  I have pretty nice parts for the T24 so hoping it will be nice and smooth.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

I have been in engine mode lately and have a question that I’ve yet to see asked. This pertains to the distributor bore. 

Inside the engine block is a small seal at the base of the bore for the shaft that fits into the oil pump tang to drive the distributor gear. I have sourced a seal but would like to know how much oil it holds back. This should keep oil in the chamber for the distributor gears or does it. The small tin cover doesn’t seem that strong to hold oil pressure. 

Do we grease the distributor gears or depend on oil pressure to lubricate them. This may be some kind of a splash system to spray oil on the shaft and gears. I cannot find an explanation for its purpose. The Studebaker cars are not the same so not much to compare to there. 

I ask because I have learned it is important where restrictors need to be placed in the oil system to prevent low oil pressure to the cam and bearings. This may be one of those important restrictions. 
Thank you

Fred

On 6/26/2023 at 4:45 AM, F-D Zernia said:

I have been in engine mode lately and have a question that I’ve yet to see asked. This pertains to the distributor bore. 

Inside the engine block is a small seal at the base of the bore for the shaft that fits into the oil pump tang to drive the distributor gear. I have sourced a seal but would like to know how much oil it holds back. This should keep oil in the chamber for the distributor gears or does it. The small tin cover doesn’t seem that strong to hold oil pressure. 

Do we grease the distributor gears or depend on oil pressure to lubricate them. This may be some kind of a splash system to spray oil on the shaft and gears. I cannot find an explanation for its purpose. The Studebaker cars are not the same so not much to compare to there. 

I ask because I have learned it is important where restrictors need to be placed in the oil system to prevent low oil pressure to the cam and bearings. This may be one of those important restrictions. 
Thank you

Fred

@F-D Zernia The oil seal in question does indeed prevent oil migrating from the crankcase into the distributor shaft chamber. The angle drive bevel gears are lubricated with a good quality high temperature bearing grease. Don't forget to cut a new sealing gasket for the angle drive inspection cover. Finally don't forget to replace the old cork seals that seal both the angle drive and distributor from the elements. Attached is a photo of a modern drop in seal that should be readily available from a reputable bearing/seal service centre.

IMG_1521.JPG

IMG_1519.JPG

• Like 2

Encouraging words. I like it. I have another set of wires for after the engine is successfully broke in and adjusted. I will use a guide ring then to finish it off. There was a little arching on the distributor cap coil and spark plug terminal. Seems some rubber boots are too snug and I have noticed some splitting. Two steps forward and one step back but we will get there. 
Fred