Jump to content

Drive Wheel Removal Problem


Recommended Posts

Hello All, this is my first weasel restoration and a new member to the forum. I ran into a problem removing the drive wheels. After consulting the TM, I removed the axle bolts and pulled out the right side axle. But there were no seals or lock nuts, etc. as pictured in the TM, just a hub like sleeve with no visible means of removing it (see pics). The drive wheel spins freely so I thought maybe it was just pressed on, after some taps with a rubber mallet I gave up. Is there  a special threaded removal wrench for this? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

steve

IMG_1688.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1683.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I am looking at this correctly Steve, there is a seal/cover.  Look carefully at a screw hole and you can see that there is a flat piece of metal that is a part of the seal.  You need to take that off and then you will find bearings, nuts and lock washers. You should be able to gently tap it or take a putty knife and gently separate....

...and welcome aboard!  Awesome that you have all those original markings!

Link to post
Share on other sites

ok thanks Guys but I tried prying with a screw driver, tried pulling with channel locks and tried unscrewing with a pipe wrench but there is nothing to grab onto..I popped off the hub on the front idler wheels and immediately saw the hex nut as should be and easily removed it but the drive wheels...im not sure who did what here to attach the drive wheels.

IMG_1723.JPG

IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a small punch and put it inside one of the screw holes and try and tap it loose.  You should be able to just catch the edge of the seal (and not damage the threads) if you are careful.

Otherwise, you could tack weld a little bead in a couple of places to grab with the pipe wrench or grind a flat as suggested above.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok I grinded some flats and took the pipe wrench to it and it didnt budge. SO I ground off the entire bevel portion even with the seal and the seal popped out and then saw the nut...it took a breaker and cheater bar to loosen it and an impact wrench to get it off.. Turns out whoever did this meant for it not to come off. The nut had been tightened down just at the the tip of the shaft and the seal put in place, the remaining portion of the nut was flared out perhaps hydraulically over the top of the seal. AND turns out that that the nut was a different thread than the US one for it stripped the end of my axle shaft!! see pics. Perhaps the Norwegian's did this because this weasel went to them after the war. Then after them it went to a Fire, Highway and Forestry departments before sold into surplus....

Question, now I have to deal with stripped threads on the axle shaft...is that able to be rethreaded or do I have to replace them?

Thanks

steve

w5.jpg

w6.jpg

w3.jpg

w7.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I went to do the other side, got the grinder out, started it up and was just about to get grinding, when I noticed this side looks normal!! I shut the grinder down, go a screw driver, popped the seal out and it all came off as you originally mentioned! I wonder what was up with the other side being bastardized....

IMG_2023.JPG

IMG_2024.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...