Jump to content

New weasel project on the go


Byron
 Share

Recommended Posts

Byron, it sure looks like there is some good history near by you. You give us a history lesson too. Thank you for that. 
On the sub axle pivot tube reinforcement I wonder how deep into the hull you would recommend the extra solid bar. Yesterday I took mine apart to clean and measure and it seems there could be a few schools of thought. I’m thinking of installing bar stock into the hull but where to stop. If it extends into the hull as much as it is in the external stub it should give it plenty of strength. If it bends in the middle I think that would have been a serious accident. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, F-D Zernia said:

Byron, it sure looks like there is some good history near by you. You give us a history lesson too. Thank you for that. 
On the sub axle pivot tube reinforcement I wonder how deep into the hull you would recommend the extra solid bar. Yesterday I took mine apart to clean and measure and it seems there could be a few schools of thought. I’m thinking of installing bar stock into the hull but where to stop. If it extends into the hull as much as it is in the external stub it should give it plenty of strength. If it bends in the middle I think that would have been a serious accident. 

Good question, to be honest, the price for the complete length was only £42 and I was happy to make mine fit as one peace. This also told me that both external stubs were straight and lined up together with how nicely it went through as a tolerance fit. I completely agree with you, if it bends in the middle of the weasel...... we hit a tree smack on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your photos with rebuild are fantastic! How much time from start to today? No photos of what you did to tracks? I am asking rubber track details? Lighter or heavier? Any running issues? What did you have to change with kit? Some of our events or parades do not like the steel tracks. Great option. Cost? Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Will, it’s taken me 6 months to complete this weasel....... but is it finished..... debatable as I’m still having teething issues now. Radiator had a melt down and decided it had had enough, it cracked last weekend. Previous to that, the fuel  pump pipe inside the fuel tank decided to collapse. All these things are 70+ years old and after being put under use after sitting around for a long time they are starting to show their age.

the rubber tracks are great. I am making a TM manual on how to fit them just for fun. I’ll post shortly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi guys, I’ve not posted for a while... I don’t want it to seem like the weasel is all singing and all dancing because that would be an untrue story from most restorations...

I’ve had two break downs recently, but luckily very close to home. I can confirm a weasel toes behind a modern vehicle very well!

I found the first problem very quickly, starvation of fuel unless I left the fuel pump running for a while, I’d get another 30 seconds of driving  again until the carb had emptied. The fuel pump was still humming but only a very small trickle of fuel. The internal pipe from the pump to the top plate had collapsed not letting fuel pass. This was evident only after I’d taken the whole unit back out the tank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Then the next problem, the radiator has decided it’s had enough of life..... this weasel had been sat in a barn for 35 years and not moved. I have had the radiator pressure tested and flow tested but after putting some miles on her, the radiator has formed Crack. It’s currently out and at the repair shop. 
 

this is where she broke down

D761DFAD-4DE6-4559-A4AA-8348A2CD07B7.jpeg

F618965D-8F21-4228-8F92-986DEB91DCB9.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Byron said:

Hi Will, it’s taken me 6 months to complete this weasel....... but is it finished..... debatable as I’m still having teething issues now. Radiator had a melt down and decided it had had enough, it cracked last weekend. Previous to that, the fuel  pump pipe inside the fuel tank decided to collapse. All these things are 70+ years old and after being put under use after sitting around for a long time they are starting to show their age.

the rubber tracks are great. I am making a TM manual on how to fit them just for fun. I’ll post shortly.

6 mon ths is awesome! I checked with Staman and they are out of track kits. They do not think they will make again. Look forward to your TM! Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

At one time 2017 the Staman tracks which are similar were around 7K US not including shipping

New LAR Tracks 14K 

Cheapest way is to re belt the tracks on the original pads. New road pads go along way in preventing track grousers from breaking. This subject has been beat to death there is thread on the G503 forum about this.

Dan

Edited by M29
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, M29 said:

At one time 2017 the Staman tracks which are similar were around 7K US not including shipping

New LAR Tracks 14K 

Cheapest way is to re belt the tracks on the original pads. New road pads go along way in preventing track grousers from breaking. This subject has been beat to death there is thread on the G503 forum about this.

Dan

I am going to rebelt the one for sure, and keep that one original.  However... I have some toxic dreams about doing sacrilegious things to the other.  I think having that particular one in modern tracks will be a necessity.  I wont hijack this thread any further on that though.  Thanks for the info! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...