All Things Floater

Patrick Tipton

8 hours ago, OZM29C said:

@Pips_Blaauw We all make 'Errors of Judgement'. 😁 Don't forget to make allowance for the under guard plate that attaches to the tank. The attached photos tell the story on how I made my plate. The OEM plate was originally part of the front float tank. The front tank is much easier to manoeuvre around with a separate guard plate.

1April2018 (2).jpg

1April2018 (3).jpg

1April2018 (4).jpg

Certainly! Looks like we both had the same idea on how to make that a separate piece! We will start measuring that out once we have the floater mounted... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OZM29C said:

@Pips_Blaauw You might also consider fitting this mod. Totally useless nowadays but it looks good.

21Jan2018 (4).mjpg.jpg

IMG_4319.JPG

MWO ORD G179-W8.pdf 1 MB · 0 downloads

We did indeed consider that, but since our floorplate is pretty bad structural wise,we decided not to carry out this mod. I added new structural pieces to account for the lack of support from the floor though. Also, our floaters come from a Weasel with an earlier hull number than ours. It has the single headlight for example. Because we don't want to change the "identity" of the floater, we will not add or change it in a way other than factory correct for its original number. But we are still debating this. 

@Pips_Blaauw Did you manage to find any of the special flat washers that help to secure the float tank to the hull? If not, attached is a reference drawing for you. This link takes you to the other washers I used to secure the water ejectors and other hardware to the float tank; https://www.mcmaster.com/98363A113/ See attached photo.

17 May 2020 (2).jpg

Flotation Tank Washer.pdf

11 hours ago, OZM29C said:

@Pips_Blaauw Did you manage to find any of the special flat washers that help to secure the float tank to the hull? If not, attached is a reference drawing for you. This link takes you to the other washers I used to secure the water ejectors and other hardware to the float tank; https://www.mcmaster.com/98363A113/ See attached photo.

17 May 2020 (2).jpg

Flotation Tank Washer.pdf 71.73 kB · 0 downloads

Yupp! we actually able to salvage all the original washers (and all but 2 bolts) from the water ejectors. Are they the same as the washers used to mount the floater to the hull? 

7 hours ago, aktrapperbrad said:

A few picks of original floats with the skids intact that I recovered last fall. let me know if you need some good picks or measurements.DSCF5959.thumb.JPG.035a9087d370858afa279cfde0b1c7d5.JPGDSCF5923(2).thumb.JPG.929a4651dc62e0b108e223707beac7ef.JPGDSCF5950(2).thumb.JPG.daad44b309b75f07ef728027ffed80cf.JPG

That would be nice!!! The skidplate will be made to fit our weasel with floater installed. Due to the fact that we diverted from the original design. However we are missing the "springed hinges" and the weirdly shaped side pieces for the sideskirt... We would greatly appreciate some measurement and pictures from those! We already recreated the other mounting hardware of the sideskirt from a weasel we have at our local museum. But we are having trouble with the above mentioned parts. Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Pips_Blaauw

• 3 weeks later...

@OZM29C Certainly! We were able to hang the front floater on permanently (its not mounted water tight yet... that will happen some time in the future...) It fits like a glove! The dents and welds add character, however we are still debating to smooth some of them out with filler... We also noted the donor weasels identification number for it to keep its identification... Furthermore, I was able to make the hatch lid and headlight guard. We are still missing the capstan.. And since we cant find one for the right price, we decided to recreate it from wood and some garden hose... The capstan "shaft" (?) itself was 3d designed and printed from a real capstan we measured up. Screws were added to complete the look... The letters, which are cast in, will be added soon. It wont hold weight of course, but at least there is no hole now... Next up, bending the water shields to fit, creating the surf guard, and some OD paint! The last picture shows the rear floater in the "waiting room". That restoration will commence soon... Due to space restrictions, the rear floater will be stored away from the Weasel when it is not in use... 

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 10.13.00.png

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 10.13.15.png

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 10.21.23.png

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 10.21.35.png

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 10.12.10.png

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 10.11.45.png

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 10.11.55.png

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 10.11.04.png

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 10.35.32.png

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 10.41.32.png

• Like 1

Another update on the front floater! It is nearing completion!! The splash guard was made along with the hooks which hold it in place. We have some small details wrong sadly, but we have to work with what we have. The rest of the hardware was also mounted... The final step: sanding and painting it all green, will happen once the rear floater is ready for green too. Starting to look more and more like a boat on tracks 🙂 

Best regards,

Pips

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 21.10.13.png

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 21.09.51.png

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 21.09.58.png

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 21.10.04.png

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 21.15.04.png

Edited by Pips_Blaauw
  • Like 3

@Pips_Blaauw BZ for your ongoing efforts Pips👌 You are creating a weasel float kit from nothing. All the more reason that you will thoroughly enjoy taking your weasel into the water for some fun. BTW weasels in the water are not the best of watercraft, especially when trying to manoeuvre. To quote @Brock , you need to 'Will' a weasel in the water to get it to drive in the direction you need to go 😄 As added encouragement, attached is a video of my weasel at its first launch. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 7:30 AM, OZM29C said:

@Pips_Blaauw If you are going to install a rear marker lamp, you will need to make or find the riser conduit. Attached is a drawing to help you. That first launch will be nerve wrecking I think... We are still debating on how to test the weasel for water tightness in a safe way... Maybe putting it container, and then flooding the container to make it float a few inches... if it makes to much water, we can simply open the doors...  

IMG_1196.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG

Marker Lamp Riser Conduit.pdf 81.47 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks!! that will definately be needed once we start on the rear floater!!

Edited by Pips_Blaauw

On 7/9/2023 at 3:55 AM, OZM29C said:

@Pips_Blaauw Here are some detailed photos of the various parts that you will need to find or fabricate for your rudder set up. Note that the outer rear stretcher pocket is not parallel to the outside of the float tank. 

IMG_5224.jpeg

IMG_5223.jpeg

IMG_5222.jpeg

IMG_5220.jpeg

Thanks so much!!!! Those are definitely the pictures I need to recreate that stuff! (also thanks for the included ruler 🙂 ) Will pick this up again around september... Some busy months ahead of me, sadly the Weasel takes second place... Then again, welding in full gear at 30 degrees Celsius isn't funny anymore... Will give updates once they are forum worthy!! 😉 Regards!

Edited by Pips_Blaauw

• 7 months later...

Hi all! It has been some time since my last update... Last June we were semi done with the front floater of our weasel... due to other priorities the rear floater had to wait... Until now! We removed the worst of the corroded metal and started sanding and welding... We added a new internal frame to support the new sheetmetal, which also added some strength back. We replaced the pioneer set hooks on the deck.. And I made all the rudder hardware from pictures i got from books and here! I have to admit, I could have designed those hinges better, but they work and look pretty good! I then added the new sheetmetal and a new drainplug (the location is not original, but now I can reach it way better...) Right now the floater is painted with our renowned "Corroless" (a rust converting primer). I painted the insides bright white, for visual aid when floating.... Next up, a bit of body filler for the welds and largest dents, then the OD and finally mounting it!! 

Best regards,

Pips

78188431-3DC1-4B68-BC72-A195C0D47A3D.jpg

IMG_4099.jpeg

IMG_4113.jpeg

IMG_4781.jpeg

IMG_4796.jpeg

IMG_4871.jpeg

IMG_4880.jpeg

IMG_5001.JPG

• Like 2