Compass Box

Guido Ferluga

I would be very interested in the box as well. 

I have the original casting bracket, Steve Greenberg  makes them. 

But the compass uses a thin brass (I believe) housing with side panels. 

I have the drawing for the side panel I got from Steve, but I never found the main housing drawing.

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all!

Due to the pictures in this thread I was able to (kind of) reproduce the compass box! I used 0.8mm (0.03 inches) aluminium sheet to bend the main front facia. Then the side panels were bolted on like the original. As vibration dampers I used thick rubber washers. To mount the box under the dashboard I used 5mm (0.19 inches) aluminium sheet and some more rubber washers under the dashboard. Sadly no fancy brass cast bracket.... The paint is simple black matte paint. It was dapped with a brush until dry in order to resemble the original finish. The compass is original, works great and even the light still works. Our M29C weasel will soon have its floaters completed and mounted. Thus it may technically not need the compass to be history "correct". However we think a "boat" should have a compass, and it was a fun project! Thanks to all who posted info and pictures! 

Greetings, 

Pips

Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 22.04.17.png

Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 22.18.47.png

Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 22.18.13.png

Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 22.19.37.png

• Like 2

On 8/25/2023 at 10:33 PM, Pips_Blaauw said:

Hi all!

Due to the pictures in this thread I was able to (kind of) reproduce the compass box! I used 0.8mm (0.03 inches) aluminium sheet to bend the main front facia. Then the side panels were bolted on like the original. As vibration dampers I used thick rubber washers. To mount the box under the dashboard I used 5mm (0.19 inches) aluminium sheet and some more rubber washers under the dashboard. Sadly no fancy brass cast bracket.... The paint is simple black matte paint. It was dapped with a brush until dry in order to resemble the original finish. The compass is original, works great and even the light still works. Our M29C weasel will soon have its floaters completed and mounted. Thus it may technically not need the compass to be history "correct". However we think a "boat" should have a compass, and it was a fun project! Thanks to all who posted info and pictures! 

Greetings, 

Pips

Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 22.04.17.png

Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 22.18.47.png

Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 22.18.13.png

Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 22.19.37.png

Mooi gemaakt! Well done.

• Like 1