Jump to content

OZM29C
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Jesse Browning said:

Did you modify the bottom rear of the front float tank to make the extension removable or did it come that way?

I did indeed modify the bottom of the front tank to make life a lot easier. I fabricated the modified extention out of 1.5mm sheet in lieu of the OEM 1.0mm sheet. The new plate is more robust than before.

1 April 2018 (7).JPG

1 April 2018 (4).JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here you can see the new electrical insulators I have had to make for my Amp gauge. The old cardboard insulation just crumbled away. I have a good contact out here who can supply the old Imperial fasteners used on the Amp gauge. The aluminium cap/cover you can see is a tool I made up to allow the Instrument bezels to be bead blasted and etch primed without damaging the glass.

IMG_1642.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG

IMG_1641.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I worked for 14 years restoring MV's for collectors as my main everyday job....

I would use blue paint masking tape on the glass,  trimming it with an Xacto knife and then use duct tape over that and trim the same. The duct tape was tough enough to resist the sandblast and the blue tape under it made removal very easy.

John's idea is a good one too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I finally resolved a frustrating weasel restoration crisis today. For weeks I have been searching for the bogey wheel shafts and for the life of me I just could not find them. I had visions of having to either import another set of 16 shafts from the USA or have them made locally. Anyway Eureka!, I finally found them today. Quite awhile back our office cleaner had hid them away in an old administration drawer as part of a cleanup for a VIP visit. The photos below show how well hidden the shafts were. And to think I am only sitting a Metre away from this desk ???##@@&&**

IMG_1644.JPG

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1646.JPG

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

My short but productive holiday has come to an end. I have spent days painting the myriad of parts that go into a weasel. Here are a couple of happy snaps. I am by no ways close to finished as yet though. All I can say is the preparation and painting is very time consuming. 

CF11F913-3628-4A48-B987-F57FC6219659.jpeg

63EF16B3-E604-4465-9D33-58B0A5B583B7.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a productive weekend just gone. The spring packs are back together and painted. The return rollers are also back together and painted plus more small parts were painted. I almost got the windscreen frame painted but I have to revisit the job as I missed a small section. I also fitted the yokes to the completed bogey wheel sets and touched up the paint on them as well. Lots of loose parts that have been sitting in the cupboard for many years are now finally finding a home.

IMG_3767.JPG

IMG_3768.JPG

IMG_3765.JPG

IMG_3766.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

John,

Why did you have a problem finding those Weasel parts? The are clearly in the file drawer filed under  "W" ....... 🙂

On the bogie wheel assemblies..for those that are following your excellent restoration.....there is a "nub" or projection near the grease fitting ( shown pointing left in your photo). This is on the later vehicles and not the very early ones . It is to indicate which way they go on the machine as they are offset.  All of them on one side should point the same way.......on the drivers side they point to the front of the machine and on the other side ( motor side) they all point to the rear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This weekends weather did not lend itself to progressing the painting programme so I decided to get a few welding jobs out of the way. The first problem to deal with was this tiller arm. The NOS tiller arm rudder retaining clip had been welded in the incorrect position. When the rudders are deployed, the clip is normally secured to a countersunk hole at the top of the rudder shaft. Because the clip was not positioned correcty on the tiller arm, the clip would have just flopped around. I unzipped the old retaining clip and fitted a NOS spare retaining clamp that I had. The removed retaining clip will be relocated to the centre seat position on the rear floor pan.

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...