OZM29C

Very quiet on the weasel restoration. I am still waiting for my hull to come back from the Sandblaster. Today I assembled the crown wheel and planetary gears into the final drive. Cleaning the Rat detritus from the final drive has been a real challenge. My advice to other weasel owners, don’t pull apart your final drive unless you really really have to. Happy snaps attached. 

2E3ACDA0-ED90-4FDA-ABD6-23DD51C6DAA0.jpeg

68351D72-6AB4-469F-BAC1-949E7967E6D0.jpeg

On 8/30/2020 at 8:25 PM, Patrick Tipton said:

Nice John.  I have not opened mine up yet.....hopefully it is not too bad.

Keep after it!

Patrick

@Patrick Tipton Patrick, I do believe that its well worth the effort to at least open the final drive to do an internal inspection. The last thing I expected to find was a giant rats nest inside! Still waiting for the gasket paper to arrive to finally box it up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The weasel restoration show continues. Today's instalment is making a set of seal retainer plates for the front engine divider panel. Although not quite OEM I don’t have the special industrial stapling tool needed to staple the sealing rubber to the metal. The last photo shows the finished product on the rear engine divider panel. BTW, again the rubber is not OEM but is very practical and durable for the job at hand.

15 September 2020 (2).JPG

15 September 2020 (1).JPG

15 September 2020 (4).JPG

Rear Engine Divider Panel.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am on a holiday break which means I can progress the weasel restoration. Today’s effort was to start assembling the suspension. I am happy with today’s progress. The parts are getting heavier though. When I am finished with the passenger side I will tip the hull over and assemble the driver’s side. I am not quite sure how I am going to do the lift yet. The final drive looks resplendent in a coat of OD 

Hull.thumb.jpeg.c0f3bdf595c8676d6fbfc3de21c47f84.jpeg

2BAC478C-360A-43FA-9068-7D640248259E.jpeg

• Like 1

John - looks good my friend.  Tipping it back over was a little scary.  I used a chain hoist connected to the center bulkhead and just gave it enough slack that I could tip it over past the balance point....then a lowered it. 

I am planning on reinstalling the springs on the rotisserie, but it needs a little more engineering before it will be up for this task.

Patrick

Hard to believe that after 20 years I have finally got my weasel back on its suspension and bogey wheels. My knees are paying for it tonight☹️☹️Just to mention a few parts that I have replaced; All of the suspension bolts and suspension bolt sleeves, NOS rubber bump stops, NOS bogey wheels and hub seals plus more. This is very time consuming work.

1343451230_JohnHull.jpeg.c60f323a488e555fd8e9df97515c1b22.jpeg

• Like 3

Not a lot happening on the weasel in the last two days as I have had home Reno’s to do. But I did install the rubber seal on the front engine divider panel and I also installed my fire extinguisher bracket. The fire ex. bracket was made by a very talented fellow in the US of A. Unfortunately his details were lost when the previous weasel forum died.

A4F196A6-5F23-45F9-9760-B91AC5060412.jpeg

4DD30703-1F55-496B-A46A-E1DE98F204F8.jpeg

E8D7951E-715A-4869-8E6F-AC7DDF87D021.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I have spent most of yesterday and half of today working on the inside of the hull in order to prepare it for painting. I had to vacuum out as much of the leftover sandblasting grit as humanly possible, then remove and clean the blobs of Alumilastic that had been forced through to the inner hull when I was bolting the suspension on and also touch up areas of etch primer that the sandblaster missed. Anyway the inner hull now looks respendent in its first coat of OD. The two unpainted areas in the lower hull were where I stood to paint. I will touch them up later.

25 October 2020 (1).JPG

25 October 2020 (2).JPG

25 October 2020 (3).JPG

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Patrick Tipton said:

That is exciting John - looking great.

Yes @Patrick Tipton The weasel is finally starting to come together. What I forgot to mention was that the accelerator pedal in my photo has been modified IAW MWO ORD G179-W9. I have also added a grease fitting to the accelerator pedal bushing. Maybe an over kill but nice to be able to lubricate the pedal shaft if needs be.

• Like 1

Grease makes sense for most of us....I may run mine in some measure of cold, but not that cold.

In my originality search on the T24, it appears that the earliest T24's may not have had oiling caps on the controls.  Not sure how they would have been lubricating them....they were bronze bushed...maybe they were just planning to soak the bushings and let it go at that...