OZM29C

2 hours ago, Rob W said:

John,

You are getting close to a running/driving machine!

Excited to see you move it under it's own power...

Have you ever driven a weasel?

Nice work...and perseverance!

Rob

Thanks for the 'BZ' @Rob W Rob. Nope never driven a weasel. Looking forward to the day. Thanks for all of your efforts in developing the LAR track and sprockets. Best investment I have made on this restoration.

Another big day on the weasel today. Here is a list of jobs carried out;

Connected the front capstan winch driveshaft to the crankshaft pulley

Connected the Clutch cable to the bell housing support bracket

Installed the transmission shift lever shaft assembly

Installed the lower radiator rubber drain hose

Installed the lower radiator elbow and flexible hose - I am not sure if using the period radiator hose clamps was a good idea. They are extremely hard to get at with a screwdriver.

Connected the flexible fuel line to the hard line adjacent the fuel pump

Installed the water pump fan - It just clears the capstan winch drive by a hairs width, phew!

Installed the radiator top hose

Installed the Voltage regulator and support bracket and connected the generator wiring

Laid out the main wiring harness - I have discovered that the VWM wiring harness does not contain the blackout and headlight wiring harness. Bloody frustrating as I paid top $$$$$ for this harness kit.

Lubricated and installed the steering/high low range cross shaft

and finally fitted the small cover that goes on top of the cross shaft (behind the driver)

Time to have a break from the weasel for a few days. Cheers

IMG_3899.JPG

IMG_3900.JPG

IMG_3902.JPG

Edited by OZM29C
spelling
  • Like 1

Brilliant photos John of the pipe work on the fuel tanks side of the engine! They are extremely handy!!!! Could you possibly take a couple more Of this side of the engine for me?

brave using the original jubilees..... I love to keep my vehicles looking original but i do also like a few modern touches for ease and servicing. I think the original jubilees was one of the first things I changed on my jeep.

cheers, Byron

In response to the ground strap location on the hull. There is a hole on the motor mount strut. Right or left side have holes. On mine the strap fastens on the drivers side motor mount. Also the battery ground went 332A81E9-93E4-48F2-9E8A-7566FFAF6607.thumb.jpeg.9cf2970825ef336d5f4b4fe3e43a57d6.jpeg1D24020F-D2A1-49E8-8DF5-66DB51B67058.thumb.png.3515e71e7f6d2cb5aff0d43592c828f6.pngto the right rear bolt on the transmission cover. 
Fred

• Like 1

Today's effort was to resurrect the fuel tank straps. I found the remains of a set of straps years ago.  I have salvaged the ends  from the old straps and then grafted the original ends onto some new strapping. I had to modify my top straps as there is not enough clearance between the top of the fuel tank and the upper hull. My repo fuel tank is about 10mm higher as compared to an original fuel tank. I have therefore made the top straps removable. Now to bead blast and paint them.

IMG_3906.JPG

• Like 1

That interesting, my engine ground strap was the same side as yours John, even though through all the manuals, is states and shows pictures of the other side. I photographed mine and will put it back the same side it came off.

Regards, Byron

Well my first Engine Compartment heat seal was a dismal failure. I tried to test fit it on the steering/gear shift assembly and it simply would not fit! I rechecked my drawing and found that I had stuffed up the conversion of one of the old imperial measurements into Metric. It was easier to make a replacement with a slot cutout

😀👍rather than try to modify the first. I will see how it fits later this arvo.

6 January 2021.JPG

Edited by OZM29C
  • Like 1

Thought I would add some more on how I made the rudder cables.

Brock J. sent me a photo of the original ends (fitted to his weasel) that had been crimped onto the cable. I made a crimping tool to emulate the original crimps. I also had to machine new replacement threaded ends. Last but not least I made some removable wire stops which go inside the steerer. This was a handy mod as it meant that I could adjust the length of the steering cables to ensure that the cable was at the right tension and the steerer was centred with the rudders aligned fore and aft.

Brocks Weasel rudder threaded studs.jpg

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

• Like 1

Today’s lunchtime efforts were directed to finishing the weasel heat shield. This involved fitting facsimile staples to the felt strip. It’s a fiddly time consuming job. Now that this little part is done, I have cleared the roadblock to getting the dashboard and instrument panel installed.

11 January 2021 (2).JPG

11 January 2021 (1).JPG

• Like 1

Today’s effort was focused in the drivers area. First job was to fit the dashboard. A character building job 😲😲 and yes I did scratch some paint . Next job was to install the cross shaft cover(behind the driver). Last job was to install the accelerator linkage and the linkage cover. 

1E2B8FF5-1D6E-46AA-903E-49909EDABBBD.jpeg

• Like 1