Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started the restoration of a 1943 T-24 a couple of weeks ago.  I intend to document the restoration here. I bought the Weasel from a well-known Weasel collector and friend.  He had stripped the

Patrick, I saw the latest March Madness installment with the tight fitting radiator. It reminded me how difficult ours was to remove. I created a spreader to push the side walls apart to wiggle the ra

Fixing details topside now.  I find this work very enjoyable but you do have to take your time to get the details right.

Posted Images

I got the engine stand built and the '45 dated engine mounted.  Will be testing soon although I still haven't decided whether I am going to put this in the T24 or find a correctly dated '43 Champion 6.  I am going out to the shop for a long work day.  The goal is to finish the hull other than for paint prep.  I will report back later.

 

IMG_8163.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the last major welding done on the hull and am just cleaning up plug welds and details.  I had to make a cut along the lower edge of the bulkhead behind the driver because I got the new side about 1/16 too high in the middle.  I need to do a little more welding on the corner but it is getting close.   I have a couple of buddies coming over Tuesday and we are going to inspect the hull and mark everything that is left...I am about a month behind, but I think I am still in pretty good shape to have this ready by August for the MVPA convention.

IMG_8173.thumb.jpg.d19cb63eef39d9025d87a2c3e0a8910a.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Patrick TiptonGreat engine video. From my experience, if the opportunity does present itself, get your crankshaft crack tested. For whatever reason I had 5 crankshafts tested in the search for a usable crank. They were all cracked. In the end I paid a premium and purchased a NOS crankshaft. Also if in your repair programme you have had to run a thread tap right through your spark plug holes, you can fit a longer reach spark plug. In my case I fitted good quality NGK BP6HS plugs.

Keep the updates coming👍👍👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Appreciate it John @OZM29C!  The Studebaker crankshafts were forged so it is pretty interesting that they were cracked - something extreme must have happened! 

The crank in this motor was in excellent condition - there was still a little over a thou on the rod bearings but I replaced them as I was in there.  The mains were within new spec and all journals showed almost no wear...

I have two other cranks...the one with the bad babbitts and one that came from a junk Champion 6 but the crank still looks decent.  Surprisingly the bad babbitt crank journals don't look terrible...I will have them magnafluxed and ground.....

I did clean out the spark plug holes...have noted the NGK plug number and will give them a shot.

Thanks again for sharing your experience John!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked a little more on this engine.  Super happy with how it is coming out.  After about 20 minutes of running, the compression ranges from a low of 95 to 104 lbs...from the TM we are looking for 105 lbs so those are good numbers in my book.  This engine was in a flood and sat for 20 plus years - first in Arizona and then upstate NY.  The bottom end was very clean but I replaced the rod bearings because while still in spec, they only had about one thou left in them.  The mains were nearly new and looked great.  I did a valve job on it, replaced one exhaust valve and just cleaned up the cylinder walls with 3M pads.  Pretty inexpensive overhaul!

The valve covers are leaking so I need to do a little work on them and the carburetor needs a proper rebuild, but this engine will be ready for final cleanup, paint and install soon.

I also worked a fair bit on the back panel.  I welded up the last few pinholes and used a little "non-lead" lead on it where the inner gussets block access to repair old accident damage completely.  A little more rust removal and I think it is pretty much ready for paint...... finally.

IMG_8207.thumb.jpg.8460020528bc1399dc626734f50bde0d.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...