• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started the restoration of a 1943 T-24 a couple of weeks ago.  I intend to document the restoration here. I bought the Weasel from a well-known Weasel collector and friend.  He had stripped the

Patrick, I saw the latest March Madness installment with the tight fitting radiator. It reminded me how difficult ours was to remove. I created a spreader to push the side walls apart to wiggle the ra

Fixing details topside now.  I find this work very enjoyable but you do have to take your time to get the details right.

Posted Images

I got the engine stand built and the '45 dated engine mounted.  Will be testing soon although I still haven't decided whether I am going to put this in the T24 or find a correctly dated '43 Champion 6.  I am going out to the shop for a long work day.  The goal is to finish the hull other than for paint prep.  I will report back later.

IMG_8163.jpg

• Like 2

Got the last major welding done on the hull and am just cleaning up plug welds and details.  I had to make a cut along the lower edge of the bulkhead behind the driver because I got the new side about 1/16 too high in the middle.  I need to do a little more welding on the corner but it is getting close.   I have a couple of buddies coming over Tuesday and we are going to inspect the hull and mark everything that is left...I am about a month behind, but I think I am still in pretty good shape to have this ready by August for the MVPA convention.

IMG_8173.thumb.jpg.d19cb63eef39d9025d87a2c3e0a8910a.jpg

• Like 1

@Patrick TiptonGreat engine video. From my experience, if the opportunity does present itself, get your crankshaft crack tested. For whatever reason I had 5 crankshafts tested in the search for a usable crank. They were all cracked. In the end I paid a premium and purchased a NOS crankshaft. Also if in your repair programme you have had to run a thread tap right through your spark plug holes, you can fit a longer reach spark plug. In my case I fitted good quality NGK BP6HS plugs.

Keep the updates coming👍👍👍

• Like 1

Appreciate it John @OZM29C!  The Studebaker crankshafts were forged so it is pretty interesting that they were cracked - something extreme must have happened! 

The crank in this motor was in excellent condition - there was still a little over a thou on the rod bearings but I replaced them as I was in there.  The mains were within new spec and all journals showed almost no wear...

I have two other cranks...the one with the bad babbitts and one that came from a junk Champion 6 but the crank still looks decent.  Surprisingly the bad babbitt crank journals don't look terrible...I will have them magnafluxed and ground.....

I did clean out the spark plug holes...have noted the NGK plug number and will give them a shot.

Thanks again for sharing your experience John!

I worked a little more on this engine.  Super happy with how it is coming out.  After about 20 minutes of running, the compression ranges from a low of 95 to 104 lbs...from the TM we are looking for 105 lbs so those are good numbers in my book.  This engine was in a flood and sat for 20 plus years - first in Arizona and then upstate NY.  The bottom end was very clean but I replaced the rod bearings because while still in spec, they only had about one thou left in them.  The mains were nearly new and looked great.  I did a valve job on it, replaced one exhaust valve and just cleaned up the cylinder walls with 3M pads.  Pretty inexpensive overhaul!

The valve covers are leaking so I need to do a little work on them and the carburetor needs a proper rebuild, but this engine will be ready for final cleanup, paint and install soon.

I also worked a fair bit on the back panel.  I welded up the last few pinholes and used a little "non-lead" lead on it where the inner gussets block access to repair old accident damage completely.  A little more rust removal and I think it is pretty much ready for paint...... finally.

IMG_8207.thumb.jpg.8460020528bc1399dc626734f50bde0d.jpg

• Like 1