Data Plate Help Requested.

D.R.H.

Hey Gents. I removed the Data Plate from my weasel yesterday cleaned most of the paint off it then threw it in a shallow pan with some Evaporust. I gave it a really good cleaning today and found that my Weasel is in fact a "C" model. The  ORD. and MFRS. serial numbers are the same, with the same font and in the same place one right under the other. It is 7699. At the very bottom of the plate there are two areas, one for year of mfr., (1944) and the other has letters in it that appear to read (SEETERLIN). The letters appear to have been engraved and are all the same height and font. They are evenly spaced and perfectly algined. Can anyone help me with a bit of clarity as to month of build and perhaps what Seeterlin means? Thanks in advance, Dave.1491846776_DataPlate.thumb.JPG.39daa4d05669c2fb27dffb52eb059f62.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dave,

The ORD/MFG number on this data plate is the serial number of the vehicle.

Seeterlin was the Ordnance Inspector at the Studebaker Plant and did the inspections of Weasels.

You should also have a thin data plate on the bulkhead in the cargo compartment ( passenger side ) that will be stamped " M29C-xxxx" ( x=unknown number). This is the Hull serial number.

There will also be a Motor serial number stamped on the drivers side of the motor near the water pump just under the head.

I have a database of existing Weasels and would like to add yours to it.

If you contact me directly at jgilmore@ptd.net I will give you the original USA registration number that was painted on the outside of the vehicle.

Jim Gilmore

Jim Thorpe, PA.

• Thanks 1

You are awesome Jim!!!  THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your help on this portion of "discovery" with my Weasel. I would be happy to look for the engine serial number and let you know what it is. I will venture to guess that the engine was changed out when it was in Norway. As for the "ribbon" data plate on the bulkhead of the cargo compartment, mine is gone. Are the Ord. number and hull number the same? 

Dan,

ORD & MFG numbers are always the same.

Your Hull number plate number would have been around 360? to around 362? ( ? = unknown number)

Jessie,

Thanks for the info...I have added that M-29C to my list as "scrapped" That was a very early M-29C.

Jim Gilmore

Jim Thorpe, PA.