Carburettor Plunger 64-89S

OZM29C

When I rebuilt my weasel carburettor, the NOS plunger had dried and shrivelled rendering it completely unusable. I found a company that could supply a replacement plunger. I would like to share below, both the company details and a very useful snippet of information that may be of help to weasel owners. 

Please note that the Plunger supplied is just that. It has to be retrofitted onto the original piston? An easy job.

Cheers John W.

Weasel Carby Page 2.pdfWeasel Carby Page 1.pdf

John!  We also make our own basic repair kit for the Carter BBR-1 Weasel military carburetor.  The original Leather is a "chromed" leather ( a special process to add extended use for the leather, resulting in a purplish color).  This is the best you can do for any type of gasoline, E10 or otherwise.  The issue with any accel pump is the continual contact with gasoline.  Any carb accel pump will not give good service in applications that are continually setting and drying out, regardless of the carb make and model!  This is just the way it is.  Leather pumps will give excellent service, as well as more modern flurocarbon rubber pump cups, as long as they stay immersed in gasoline.  When they set and dry out, the leather shrinks and it must be re-immersed in gas for a few minutes before use, to expand to their original working diameter in the pump well.  So, to help with this problem, you can simply change the method you use to restart an engine that has set for a few weeks: DO NOT immediately start pumping the accellerator pedal when re-starting the engine. Just crank the engine over, for say 15-20 seconds, to allow the fuel pump to fill the bowl of the carb with gas.  Then let it set for at least 10 minutes.  This will allow the fresh fuel in the bowl to also fill the pump chamber and allow the leather to re-expand to its normal working diameter. This method, with any leather pump, will allow it to give you much longer service life. When the leather on the pump shrinks it is not in contact with the sidewall of the pump well; when the engine starts, the vacuum actuated accel pump in the Weasel carb preloads the leather portion upwards, and when accellerating, vacuum drops on the piston head of the pump, and the spring causes the pump to move downward and discharge a shot of fuel.  If the leather portion has not had time to soak up fuel and expand in the pump well, the force against the liquid fuel will cause the leather to "roll over" and ruin the pump.  This is a common cause of leather pump failure; not because the leather is not good, but it cannot do its job is it is not fully expanded and sealed against the side wall of the pump well.  So, a little patience can greatly extend the useful life of any leather pump. Our part #156A is made for the Weasel carburetors.  This item costs $10 ea + shipping to AUS.  I hope some of the information helps you, and if you are still not sure of the above explanation, let me know.
Thank You!
RON HEWITT
DAYTONA PARTS COMPANY
1191 TURNBULL BAY ROAD
NEW SMYRNA BEACH, FL 32168
PH:386-427-7108
FX:386-423-8528
www.daytonaparts.com

• Like 1