Track specs?

Idaho Jim

Greetings Jim.  The spacing is 4.5" on center - that tracks with the spacing/timing on the sprockets.  There are several varieties of tracks so it depends on which ones you have.....as to the number but 56 grousers are the most common.  I know there are also 55 grouser tracks, but I don't have any and have not been able to measure a set.  

If you have pictures, you might post a few.

• Like 1

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply, sir. The data plate says M29c. The tracks have already been modified by someone and I measured 4.75" grouser spacing. Maybe they stretched over the years. At any rate, I'd rather not guess or replicate an unknown installation.  I can run with 4.5". I am using belting that is 0.400 inches thick, so that adds up. 12" sprocket (I measured 11.9 with calipers, but they might be worn down 0.050" on the radius) and 0.4" belt, 9 teeth, that comes out to right about 4.5".

I will gather a few pix. Get ready to be surprised at what you see. I found it that way!  :-O

Jim

Well, here it is. Someone gutted the whole crew area and turned it around. Must have flipped the ring gear in the differential, too. 2 seater, side by side up front. Has a big platform over the engine, side to side. Sticks have hydraulics, but no boost, and they are backwards. Push to stop a track. I have some changes to make....41068566_OverheadM29c.thumb.jpg.e3f148baf7bfa5f2e3d17bb9b387b5c0.jpg

• Like 1

That is a crazy amount of effort ...would love to know what they were thinking....I doubt they did anything to the actual rear drive - bet they just lived with two speeds.   If they did, please share!

If you are aiming to get it back to original, @David Yamulla has either all or nearly all of the control stick parts.  The actual base on the hull is angle iron with one pressed piece - I may be able to come up with one that you could repair.  Otherwise, doesn't look like they goofed up too many things....a little welding and grinding and it won't be Wrong Way Corrigan anymore.

Congrats!

Hi guys,

Well, I think the ring gear must not have been reversed. That means that as currently configured, it would have one one slow forward speed and 3 high speeds in reverse. YIKES! I twisted the driveline the same way the engine does, assuming it is a standard clockwise engine, as viewed standing in front of the engine, and observed the drive sprockets. Figuring that in high gear, the tranny is straight through with the same rotation direction as the engine. I watched the sprockets both go in the direction that would propel the M29 as originally designed. That means I don't  have to dive into the differential right now to reverse the ring gear if I just undo the ridiculous reversed crew cabin I found.

So I need to redo the driver's area and the exhaust, for starters. Also, There were only 54 grousers on the vehicle. Someone suggested the tracks had stretched. I found the spacing to be 4-3/4", not 4-1/2" as I was told it should be. A quarter inch times 54 grousers comes out to 13-1/2 inches of stretch, within range of 2 grousers of stretch. Someone must have just taken 2 out on each side to get it to tension up.

Guess it's time to start shopping for stuff.....

Jim