Weasel Drive line parts needed

Pips_Blaauw

Hi! im a new member to this forum, and almost a new owner of a Studebaker Weasel m29c. The one I bought is in quite rough condition tho, only 3 leaf springs ass. and diff are still present. Also most of the bottom has rusted away. But im young, and optimistic, thus, I need pretty all parts that I can find. So send me everything that you can find! I am located in The Netherlands, and I don't really have the contacts to look for parts. So im hoping this will turn something up. of course shipping will be painfull, but still, let me know if you know something! I prefer parts from Europe, but, beggars can't be choosers... 

Regards, 

Pips

Welcome Pips!

Sounds like you got yourself a big project - congrats!  If I were you, I might think about buying another machine - probably in the states and just shipping it over.  I think you will save money in the long run.  Otherwise, I think you are going to spend more having smaller parts shipped to you.  What is the likelihood of finding a good parts machine in the Netherlands?

As for the repairs to the hull - just a lot of welding and grinding.  There are very few parts on the hull that you can't make in a simple shop so fire up your angle grinder, get some 18 gauge steel and your welder and get after it!  I would suggest you start a rebuild thread so we can all follow along!

Patrick

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi Patrck,

First, sorry for the late reaction, I am still finding out all of the possible tabs and functions of this forum. That is why i only saw your reaction just now... 

I eventually let that project go for the next guy. My dad brought me to my senses... The final buyer is actually be able to restore it to its best glory... and after all; we are just keeping them at their best for the next generation... I was not able to do that with the wreck due to the limited space and resources I have.

After a few months i found a (COMPLETE) M29C Weasel for sale. Me and my familiy bought it, and we are now in the process of restoring/ repainting it. We are doing everything ourselves. It is a weasel that was from Norway. It was painted white there, (of which i am reminded each time i start to sand something... the paint goes up to 3mm thick and its terrible... ) It still has the original tracks, original roof/seats canvas, original engine/driveline, original wiring, original rubber fuel tank and odometer says 743 miles... Event the regulator and fuel tank have the original unbroken wire seal. All the datatags are present and we found some original markings under the hood until now. It starts, runs, drives, and steers perfectly! The tracks are still kind of good, some rubber pads are missing. and the tension arms dont have much space anymore. But the tracks are still tight and were reenforced... I will start experimenting with glueing new pads on once i have vacation from school.  

We are still in the proces of getting it road legal and getting a numberplate for it... then have to get my T licence for it (as is mandatory here in the netherlands) and go trough the driving lessons once again, but then i am able to drive it legally here... For that i will also install turn signals and a brake light system.

We are sanding it to bare metal on the outside and most of the inside. Ofcourse all the while looking for markings... After this we prime it, and paint it the most original shade of OD we could find. We did had to do some welding on it, the rear had a hole cut in it for a trailerlight socket... Pictures include: the new wiring i am making myself (the original harness has a lot of weakspots... and i want it to be reliable), date on the fuel tank, the Weasel itself, markings on the inside of the hood, primed cargo compartment and some parts, the first batch of green parts, the "before" shot of the cargo compartment and the taillight units i will install somewhere discrete... We are planning to mark it as a weasel that was used by the 1st or 4th marines. Since me and my dads intrest is more PTO than ETO. But if we find original markings, we will use those. 

If you have questions, please ask! By the way, I really enjoy your youtube channel, keep it up!! it has learned me a lot until now... Thanks!!! 

Kind regards, 

Rob 

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 20.48.01.png

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 20.47.32.png

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 20.45.33.png

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 20.44.39.png

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 20.45.20.png

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 20.44.21.png

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 20.43.53.png

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 20.43.44.png

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 20.55.59.png

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 21.06.35.png