T-15 Track Tensioning

jdikeman

I know that Patrick has a great thread going as it relates to track tension on the M29.  I will readily admit that I haven't done much research as it relates to setting tension on the M29 but I'm looking for some help for the T-15 track tension.  The T-15 supposedly used the jack and an attachment on a jack arm to pull the spring down such that the blocks could be bolted back to the hull.  Spacers were then to be added or removed based on the little tensioning tool that also came with the vehicle back in 1941-1942, that too I believe to be something somewhere between tarot cards and black magic.  Needless to say, I don't have the jack, the piece to grab the spring or the tensioning tool.  And honestly, I'm still not real certain how all of that really worked.  What I do know is that re-tracking one of these out in the field with the vehicle on the ground would have bordered on something close to a miracle.

I have the tracks back on the machine after installing Mike Howard's track bands on the old grouser plates.  My East Coast engine and original differential are back in and fully functional.  Now I need to get the tensioning blocks reinstalled to see where we are with everything.  Not a ton of options I've come up with for compressing the spring to install the tensioning blocks.  I've thought about using one of the tines on my skid steer fork to compress the spring down but thought I would see what other T-15 Owners have used with a decent amount of success.     

Greetings Jeff.  I have found that the only reliable way to tension the T24/M29 tracks is with the jack.  You don't really need anything else on those machines.  I have had some success with pry bars and chains and blocks of wood etc...but it is not a fun experience.  The jack makes it all predictable.

So, I will take a look at the T15 manual, but are the jacks the same?  If they are, I believe Dave Yamulla has a limited number of jacks for sale.....

Excited to see this machine running!

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, as always, you are a great resource.  I'll check with Dave and see if he has a jack he's willing to part with.  Does the jack have the end piece that grabs the tensioner spring or is that some sort of added piece I need to try and track down as well?

Larry - Thank you very much!  Now I have a much better understanding of what the "clips" look like that grab the end of the spring and the one that hooks to the frame.  Should be able to fabric something that would work to draw the spring down.

• Like 1