Jump to content

M29C Swimmer Assembly


Recommended Posts

I have spent the last several years tracking down Weasel parts to build & restore a swimming Weasel.  Many parts have been an adventure locating and getting my hands on.  Probably one of the most difficult is a really nice pair of the side swim skirts that have not rot in them- which is just amazing.  Recently I had the opportunity to purchase a very complete older restored M29C swimmer.  So now, I'm putting together the best of my parts to eventually sell to someone as a project to restore.   The goal is to get it to an assembled start/run/move/stop status and sell.  Anyway- enjoy the pictures and assembly updates.  I started with a tub that has what appears to be original artwork/name on the front as it was partially painted over at the time of sale to the public- or at least that appears to be what happened.  It says "Ruptured Duck".   Serial number is 4642 on original data plate.  Body tag is M-29C-568, & registration is 40178564S.  Body has typical rust- not as bad a some, but rough in the drivers area and under fuel tank.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of the swimmer parts that will go on and go with it.  I also have all the upper and lower capstan parts & winch.  There is a repro side splash shields and bow shield.  The side skirts are original and in amazing condition for being unrestored.











Link to comment
Share on other sites

1st thing I did was get one of my motors running.  I have the correct carburetor- which I will get on at a later point.  I mostly just wanted to maker sure this one ran good before putting it in.  I put the radiator & fan shroud in as well.   The original fuel filter is installed, but will not be used at this time- Ill save that for whomever does a full restoration.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Patrick!  Hopefully once together someone will take it to the next level.

Next step was the suspension.  This one had several bogies that were not turning smooth, some that were missing, and some that wobbled as the bearings were wasted.  I went through each one to get them either turning or replaced with other ones.  (I have acquired a pretty good stock of parts over the years.).  One Bubba repair required the replacement of the suspension yoke as well.  spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngMost of the bogies are WW2 dated and usable.  Obviously I would recommend taking apart and putting fresh grease & new seals and in some cases bearings might be needed.  That being said, one person can roll the Weasel on the shop floor now.  I found the factory tool in conjunction with my gantry made quick work of lifting the bogie assemblies.  Next step is to swap a good set of sprockets over onto this one.





Edited by SWatkins
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could you post the motor number of the original motor of this Weasel? I would like to add it my Weasel data base.

It would be great if you could also post a photo of the stenciling on the front of the bow tank.

I checked my Archives data base of photos and documents but did not find anything in this vehicle.

The fact that the differential is painted OD shows it was rebuilt at one time in the vehicles life.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...