Number of Floaters still operatable?

Reamer

There's a video out by a person in Ontario CA with an M-29-C stating there are only around 20 capable of floating. Is this accurate? and If yes should I find a rudder /steering system for the one I picked-up yesterday (out of Hollis NH) or go down the road of removing the float tanks on it?

Thanks Ron

right side.jpg

weasel.jpg

20?.....no that is not accurate. I know of over 40 that are capable of floating....and remember that all T24 and M29 Weasels can float, however there is little free-board when doing that.

I would restore that M29C as it is and get the parts that are missing.

Edited by Jim Gilmore

@Reamer Ron, I would like to offer my opinion on whether to restore or not to restore an M29C with its float tanks. First off, nice find, they are still out there. Please post more photos. What you have there is a great starting point with some of the 'Floater Jewellery' still there however, there is some hard to find hardware missing; namely Track aprons, track apron braces, track apron/rear float tank mounting brackets, track apron hinge pins, track apron to front float tank mounting brackets, the complete rudder assembly which includes the steerer, rudder cables, rudder cable guide tubes, rudder cable tube mounting brackets, Stretcher pockets. I can't see if the capstan winch and winch drive assembly is in place. Anyhow you get the picture. Head on over to my restoration blog and you can see the myriad of parts necessary to restore a floater. There is a inordinate amount of sheet metal work involved to make these vehicles watertight and I can guarantee that bottoms of your float tanks will have a significant amount of corrosion evident. If not on the outside then definitely on the inside. Having said all that, nothing surpasses the thrill of launching and driving a weasel in the water. Maybe I should be more honest in saying 'willing a weasel through the water' 😂 Good luck with your endeavour.

https://forum.portrayalpress.com/topic/85-m29c-7333-restoration-blog/#comment-580