T15 paint

Larry Mass

Greetings Larry - can't wait to see your T15 finished - cool little machines!

They were painted white and also painted camo.  I believe @James Di Giovanni has the factory prints for the camo on the later machines - maybe he has them for the T15's too.  If not, I have a decent collection of pictures that I could scan and supply - offhand I don't remember if there is more than one pattern but James should chime in here.

On 3/5/2021 at 11:41 AM, Larry Mass said:

Hi guys i have been picking away at my t15 and as i work on it i have been wandering if the t15's were painted in winter camo. and if so is there a standard pattern that they follow and what is the color. 

Thanks in advance 

Larry 

Ok  so for the T15  through m29 series xxx???    All weasels came out of the factory (if not being used for testing) lusterless White, with one of 3 camo patterns.   The black camo pattern was hand brushed and used a special gas solvable paint. This was applied to the top and the body.

Thanks Patrick and James

So James when they wanted to paint the cam on did they just give the guys a can of paint and a brush and say go at it or was there a standard pattern and if there was a pattern where can i find it and the placement also; was all the cam black because i thought somewhere i had seen a light gray. Any more information would be much appreciated 

Larry 

I am in a similar boat with my T24 project so doing the same research.  With the T24, they drew up a blueprint for the various camo patterns - so no freehanding.  There were three patterns....one that looks like a 70's era camo or leaf type, one that people call the cow camo because it has very rounded shapes and then the third that looks like streaks that are feathered out.  Not my best descriptive writing.  To my knowledge the black was a gasoline soluble paint. 

I will try and look at the T15 pictures I have (not as many as T24) and see if there are examples. 

My other "quandary" is whether or not to use a true lusterless white.  Impossible to keep clean.  I am tempted to use an egg shell or even semi-gloss.  The prototype T24 had gloss on it....unfortunate that they didn't stick with the gloss!

Patrick

Ya Patrick i went with a semi gloss white and used tremclad paint it seems to be a pretty tough paint and is a bit cheaper than automotive paint and also i can buy rattle cans for touch up if i wanted to can automotive paint it would cost me 17.00 per can and i would have to supply the paint. So is black the only color that they used for cam it kinda seems odd that they would use such a bold color. Could you send me a couple of pictures that you have of the cam pattern or where can i find them, i have looked on line but couldn't find much.

Thanks Patrick 

Larry 

20210308_114938.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Patrick Tipton said:

@Larry Mass James took care of us...my pictures are not good of the T15.  Your hull is looking great!  I like that semi-gloss....I am definitely going semi-gloss on the interior....

Thanks @James Di Giovanni

O.. i have more   just have to down load them.

I can start a t-24   and a m29 paint post.   Have allot for them

Currently have all 3 pattern prints for the 24 and 29

Edited by JamesD
  • Like 2