Fuel tank hole questions

RAS1

Hi,

I need help figuring out several holes on side of tank. I need to know if they are good or were accidents before I fill them in. 

1 on left rear side above what appears to be a cut off drain pipe?

1 on front right. Clean hole, looks like maybe something was soldered there and was broken off.

Also 4 rivets appear to not be doing well on bottom of tank where maybe the electric pump mount would be? Any sug6on repair? I can weld and I'm not using an electric pump. I like my original mechanical pump.

Thanks! 

Dave

20210613_230906.jpg

20210613_230917.jpg

20210613_230940.jpg

The holes you are showing in the two first pictures should not be there. As for the four rivets on the bottom, they hold the bracket to which the electric fuel pump is mounted to. I would replace the rivets with new ones if they are leaking. They where originally soldered over after installation to seal any leaks.  

@RAS1First photo shows how I piped up my fuel tank drain but I have since been alerted to th fact that the OEM drain arrangement slightly differs from what I installed. See second photo. Personally I prefer my arrangement as it is much easier to get access to the fuel petcock.

030F13E4-CA84-499C-BE4C-9E6D22DF99A4.thumb.jpeg.2b6e9065c0a976e56d4a5d1fa02607a9.jpeg

44320754_10215286137300121_3800346282233430016_o.jpg

Excellent picture! Thank you.  I see now that I'm missing the original fuel filter. 

The drain lines run from the filter and the tank to that tube on the side of the hull. Is there a plug under the hull at that spot?

How about correct gas tank strap install?

Thanks much!

1 hour ago, RAS1 said:

Excellent picture! Thank you.  I see now that I'm missing the original fuel filter. 

The drain lines run from the filter and the tank to that tube on the side of the hull. Is there a plug under the hull at that spot?

How about correct gas tank strap install?

Thanks much!

@RAS1The drain line does a 90 degree turn where it appears to exit out of the hull bottom and instead exits out through the side of the hull. The drain line is sealed by a 3/8"inch NPT square headed plug. Sorry I don't have a close up photo at this point of time. The fuel tank straps are as per the photo below. Having said that I have modified the straps to allow me to remove the straps from the front panel. In an OEM situation, the straps are just welded to the panel.

3 January 2021.JPG

• Thanks 1

That was perfect.  Those answer all the questions.  Perfect and thank you for making the effort to post the pictures!!! 

Now I need straps and that nice sending unit with pickup tube! 

I have the drain tube, I will have to see if I have the plug or if it is rusted and gone.

My fuel tank has the extra hole for the electric pump.  I will have to plug that big hole if I'm going original with the pickup in the sender.

Great and thanks!

Dave

I just welded my straps back in today.  They are originally spot welded underneath that panel on the hat channel.  The one closest to the passenger side of the hull seems misplaced (too far too left), but there was still a nice section spot welded in place so I am pretty sure it is correct.  There is a little weld to the right where someone had another strap at some point.  John's solution is practical...these straps are in the way and a pain if you remove the tank with the engine in place.  I am hoping to never do that but we shall see!

IMG_8385.thumb.jpg.9cd54c9ffe3ce5a31764329187f8d46b.jpg

On 6/15/2021 at 6:37 PM, Patrick Tipton said:

I just welded my straps back in today.  They are originally spot welded underneath that panel on the hat channel.  The one closest to the passenger side of the hull seems misplaced (too far too left), but there was still a nice section spot welded in place so I am pretty sure it is correct.  There is a little weld to the right where someone had another strap at some point.  John's solution is practical...these straps are in the way and a pain if you remove the tank with the engine in place.  I am hoping to never do that but we shall see!

IMG_8385.thumb.jpg.9cd54c9ffe3ce5a31764329187f8d46b.jpg

Thanks Patrick!  Look at those awesome original wire clamps above the fuel tank straps!  All those dimples add to the original factor!!!  🙂  (saw your video)

Thanks!

Dave

• Like 1