Father-Son Weasel Project

DonM

1 hour ago, DonM said:

As an aside, Patrick as an aviator might appreciate this.

One of my all time favorite WW2 fighters!  Claire Chennault was one of my first childhood heroes. 

Absolutely love that you get to continue using that stool in a fine legacy of craftsmanship.

Congrats to you two for jumping in and getting after it.  You are moving right along - outstanding. 

Regards, Patrick

Fun in the shop today…..started diving into the final drive unit. Looking over the housing we noted a casting number and a tag. See photo. Don’t know if there is anything meaningful there. There is also a tag from what I assume is a repair shop in Lyon, France dated exactly 67 years ago. See photo. 

IMG_2683.jpeg

IMG_2687.jpeg

Opened up the unit and I think it is in great shape. One of the drums has absolutely no ridges and the other has barely noticeable ridges. My only concern is some minor pitting which may be a result of from a small amount of water in the case. The brake bands looked almost brand new to me. My guess is it was not used much since its last maintenance. 

IMG_2684.jpeg

IMG_2685.jpeg

IMG_2686.jpeg

• Like 2

It seems that most of our Weasels really have not seen very much use. 

Those drums do indeed look nice. 

I don't really have a feel yet for how much that drum surface impacts steering.  My M29 steers harder than I like, but the drums are probably worse than those.  I am going to be resurfacing the M29 drums and replacing the brake linings in the next few weeks - will let you know how much of a difference it makes.

Keep up the great work.

Patrick

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile since our last update but we have been making progress. We've done a lot of patching on the lower right side hull especially on the corners of the bottom edge. We have also installed the "J" channel and blind nuts on the right side. We have also started fitting the floor and trimming as needed. Hopefully will start welding this weekend. 

IMG_2885.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg

• Like 4