M29C-5752

darth_kitten

Nice. 

Are you going to weld the top edge along that top 90 degree corner or do you have another plan? 

I worried about that a lot when I replaced my T24 side....then I was super careful cutting and then derusting the inside of the top edge where I was going to weld. Loads of careful prep.  It ended up being much easier to weld than I expected.  I believe I MIG tack welded it basically every inch and then went back over the entire side with the TIG doing about an inch at a time, then jumping forward....etc.  I left very little to no gap and used plenty of filler and ran the TIG a little hotter than normal to ensure that I was creating plenty of weld to grind "square" and make that edge look factory and straight.   Once finished, I think you would be hard pressed to see that the side was welded.

Enjoy!

@darth_kitten Just adding more to @Patrick Tiptoncomments. As you are repairing an M29C hull, the upper joint as discussed can  be easily hidden. If you look at the attached drawing, I have highlighted the area in question, where the new sheet metal can be grafted into the hull. The weld joint can then be filled using a mig welder and then once the surface has been cleaned and preserved, the upper flange of the track skirt will cover the joint in its entirety. As pointed out by Patrick, one good thing that comes out of this repair method is you can get in to clean and preserve the inaccessible areas behind the angled hull brace. I have attached a number of photos showing how I repaired this area. Note that the sponson forward of the centre bulkhead had to be completely replaced. Keep up the good work. Cheers.

SAM_0511.JPG

SAM_0522.JPG

SAM_0528.JPG

SAM_0516.JPG

SAM_0523.JPG

Sponson general assembly - Revision 1.pdf

• Like 3

@Patrick Tiptonand @OZM29C I had considered utilizing the area in which the step was so that my weld work would be hidden, but the previous repair went higher than that area, so I had to trim a little higher. Check the following photos. I think I should be able to get it pretty strait, and was going to utilize Patrick's method of mig tacking, and tig filling. We'll see how it goes!

• Like 1

Mark - I replaced one entire side....welded on the top corner of the hull.  The other side received a new floor....and because the T24 had no flares, I had no choice but to hide a 10 foot seam.  I consider it good practice😂

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@darth_kitten Just a thought! With your hull repairs proceeding at a good pace, now would be the time to consider installing a facility to ease the draining of oil from the final drive. The photos below show how I installed the drain system on my M29C hull and a friends T24 hull. Although differing markedly in their design , both ideas have equal merit. Cheers

22Mar2019 (1).JPG

22Mar2019 (2).JPG

IMG_3336.JPG

IMG_3338.JPG

P2260002.JPG

P2260003.JPG

P2260004.JPG

P2260005.JPG

P2260006.JPG

P2260007.JPG

• Like 1

@OZM29C is just being lazy!  I mean, who doesn't mind draining a gallon or so of nasty gear oil into the bottom of their Weasel and then using kitty litter, degreaser and about 10 rolls of paper towels to clean up the mess?  😂 

Seriously, these mods certainly make maintaining the final drive a lot easier.

I have had reasonable luck using a small handheld pump to remove the oil.  Works pretty well - probably doesn't get every last bit of oil out, but it is an option if you suffer from originalititis mentalis like I do and have trouble sleeping after doing a modification to one of these machines.

Regards, Patrick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...