18 gal fuel tank

I picked up this 18 gal fuel cell today. Fits perfect with room to spare for the 12 volt battery. Thoughts on what to use for a heat barrier for the exhaust manifold? There's about 2.5" between it and the tank. Not sure I'm going to use it. But for the price I thought I'd try. Love to know your thoughts. Maybe lift it up as high as it can go? Give more room for heat disapation? Can go up about 10 more inches. 

20240614_195458.jpg

20240614_195501.jpg

20240614_195508.jpg

Edited by 11c1p oldsalt

That is a sweet looking tank.  I agree that it is pretty darn close to the exhaust manifold - already a questionable place to install a gas tank.  I like your idea of building something to get the tank up and away.

Keep us posted.

Patrick

Nice fuel tank. I also found a boat tank and liked that baffles are built it to prevent fuel from sloshing about. 

A few things I found to help out. The floors for the Weasel are not flat. There is noticeable pitch from aft to bow. Although we mounted the tank in the cargo compartment the concerns are the same. 

With the style you have the pictures indicate the fuel pickup will be on the high side. That could be troublesome when the tank is near empty. I would suggest turn the tank so the inlet is under the original location of the fuel filler. My fuel pickup is in the center so I lift one end to be close to flat. 

I built an 11 gauge plate mount to strap the tank to securely. 11 gauge is a little overkill but close to what is needed for support. There will be at least 3 feet available to build mounting tabs to mount to the hull. Then you should find something suitable to bolt it to. With that support you will be able to lift one end if making the tank closer to level is desired. 

As far as a heat barrier, the original was a piece of fiber board on our machine   It is like a 1/4” plywood but with fiberglass mesh on it. A good insulation barrier could be a piece of cement board. The kind used for ceramic tile installation. It comes in different thickness and is fireproof. We use it to solder on, welding barriers and I’ve even used it to spread out cooking charcoal. 

When I remove the covers on my fuel tank I will post some pictures. I’m close to buttoning up hiding it. 

Fred

Thanks for the reply. I'd really like to mount a tank behind the rear seats. Also I just put it in to see if it fit. I figured if I mount it there it turn it so the inlet was facing the weasel inlet. Regardless 18 gal isn't enough so I'll have to build a larger tank. Looking into aluminum or stainless steel as we speak. Hoping for stainless steel. The tank I'm wanting will recess in both back cubby holes and across the back. Should give me near 40 gal. Rhe original tank area is most likely going to be a 5th seat since I don't have a dog house cover. I'll have to make one. And insulate that side so the occupant doesn't get burned by the manifold. I know it's not correct. But for the limited parts and high prices on them and no one getting back to me on parts requests and prices. Some things will have to be modified for my needs. If asked some questions I guess to the wrong guys because all I've received is radio silence from them. Love to have a POC that I can text or call at times and ask questions and get answeres. 

@11c1p oldsalt FWIW, the Swedish weasel that I had a few years ago had the fuel tanks relocated to sit under the rear section. You can see the old mounting points in the attached photo. Might be worth considering if you are looking at an increased fuel reserve.

S4010154.JPG

These are photos of how my fuel tank is coming along. Our Weasel was framed for seating along the sides. Maybe it was a tour vehicle in a past life.  I was able to line up the inlet with the radio antenna hole so that will be my fuel fill. I needed to drill a little hole in the deck for the vent. 

One thing about getting a swap meet gas tank with fittings.  It looked real good with some rust freckles on the bottom. After it was home and I began to brush off the rust the holes appeared. Seeing it was a boat tank I feel it laid in water a good part of its life and rusted from the outside in. There is a patch on the bottom now the size of a small letter envelope. The inside is clean looking. I invested in the repair because it fit well where I wanted to install it. Another good thing with the boat tank I was able to replace the sight gauge for fuel level with a sending unit to use a gauge installed on the instrument panel. Just happens the sender for a MB Jeep fit with a little extra bend on the float rod. 

Another option is a plastic fuel cell from a race car. They come in many sizes and shapes. I found a new fuel cell at a reasonable price last year and use it on my engine run stand. It is only 5 gallons so kind of small for the Weasel. 

I have a question for anyone that is already driving their Weasel. How much fuel do you consume in a typical hour of driving. Reason I ask. Is it worth installing a big tank just to muck around. I figured if 16 gallons last three hours that’s a pretty long ride. 

FredIMG_4686.jpeg.fb2499ce720d874605a91fe7bd5b5925.jpegIMG_4687.jpeg.8a69fff7e5b07bb8ba700c4ec034986e.jpegIMG_4688.jpeg.3b61024534a448033b9de6ef59f453fe.jpeg

That's a great question for this group. On fuel consumption. Might have to post that on a new topic. As for your tank. I'm trying to keep as much rear cargo and seating area as possible. I wish I could draw what I'm wanting to do in mine with a tank. Thanks for your info and ideas. It's hard getting answers. It's like things are a deep dark secret in restoring. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 4:38 PM, 11c1p oldsalt said:

Rhe original tank area is most likely going to be a 5th seat since I don't have a dog house cover. I'll have to make one. And insulate that side so the occupant doesn't get burned by the manifold. I know it's not correct.

The Norwegians did something like this.  I don't have pictures, but it is a fine idea.  The engine gets plenty hot for the driver too! 

As for fuel consumption, this engine burns a lot of fuel.  The original tank is 35 gallons and was supposed to be good for 125 miles or so (from memory).  Mine burns at least 10 gallons an hour....I have a 12 gallon plastic tank in right now and always seem to run out.

Most Weasel's I have seen in Alaska have been converted to 2 front seats since a lot of them were used as hunting and mining rigs before the days of 3-4 wheelers and Argos. They would put a 30-gal. tank in a rack on the back. Another popular retro was a 40-gal nose tank. These are mostly seen on ones that have converted suspensions.

DSCF5860.JPG.84a5ebdcae1452ff45b329f5c0425e0e.JPGDSCF5976.JPG.28e3c0d614004e9f56f8e68605e15da9.JPG DSCF6022.JPG.0b3c8dcb1a417fec9572579be2596de1.JPG

Here is some pic's (not the best) of the seating and doghouse in my T24

DSCF5862.JPG.3b23184f87f615a2a4f101f97b11d63f.JPG

DSCF5858.JPG.74aa23226c7d73ce79251d2552e87813.JPG

The seats are the driver's seats from old buses.

As far as fuel usage, as lot depends on the type of driving you plan on doing. For me I use it to break trail in deep snow during late winter or haul supplies during the rest of the year, so seldom get it out of 2nd low and maybe making it to 4-5 mph tops. These trips are only a few miles and use close to 5 gal of gas. Defiantly not very good on gas.

The advantage of running in 1 1/2-2 ft of snow is that it makes for a lot smoother ride and can be really fun. When there isn't much snow, you feel almost every bump and it doesn't take too long to beat the heck out of you.