What Goes Here?

Patrick Tipton

Gents:

I am working on the T24 and decided to replace the rear hat channel on the right side floor.  On the "edge" hat channel that runs from the front to the back of the hull on the edge of the "sponson", there are numerous captive nuts.  There is an elongated or oval hole directly in front of the rear hat channel.  There is evidence of spot welds but nothing in the hole.  It is immediately in front of the patch that I am making.  Does a captive nut or something go in that hole?

IMG_9115.thumb.jpg.d10c3c150e7350c14f6b9e344f2539e8.jpgIMG_5587.thumb.jpg.f5883c46d385742d2621628795f3fc10.jpg

That hole should be empty. I don't know what it is for, but there are two similar holes in the center floor that hold the cargo partition panel. So I'm guessing that this hole might have something to do with that as the center floor drawing was revised to include these holes on the same date.1616716361_Img_3552-medpilar.thumb.jpg.b0199ef326ec0834669b6a65e624d337.jpg 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 2:10 PM, M29C3284 said:

That hole should be empty. I don't know what it is for, but there are two similar holes in the center floor that hold the cargo partition panel. So I'm guessing that this hole might have something to do with that as the center floor drawing was revised to include these holes on the same date.1616716361_Img_3552-medpilar.thumb.jpg.b0199ef326ec0834669b6a65e624d337.jpg 

As for the revision of the floor it was only for one thing and that was the inspection hole over the trans.

All weasels prior to 3102 "did not" have the center floor inspection hole for the trans

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, James Di Giovanni said:

All weasels prior to 3102 "did not" have the center floor inspection hole for the trans

Many thanks @James Di Giovanni and @M29C3284 for the assistance.  I am still confused why there was something spot welded around that hole.....I will do more investigation on my hull and report if I find anything....

Regards, Patrick

3 hours ago, Patrick Tipton said:

Many thanks @James Di Giovanni and @M29C3284 for the assistance.  I am still confused why there was something spot welded around that hole.....I will do more investigation on my hull and report if I find anything....

Regards, Patrick

It is merely just a reinforcement so the rocking of the partition or the setting of the partition does not tear the metal it should also be noted that the partition acts as a sidewall for when the cargo is in the weasel and the cargo cover will also get strapped to it

21 hours ago, James Di Giovanni said:

As for the revision of the floor it was only for one thing and that was the inspection hole over the trans.

The revision I spoke of is not for the trans service access cover. There is a total of 23 revisions to the floor pan drawing, 952391-952392, and none of them are for the trans access cover hole. Dose the earlier floor pan without the trans access hole have different part number? 

Jim Wrote,

"...All weasels prior to 3102 "did not" have the center floor inspection hole for the trans....."

Well....yes and no......Weasels before that did not have the access hole when delivered.......however there was a MWO to add this hole on vehicles that did not have it. A hole was to be cut out and a cover fabricated. Many Weasels had this modification done.

M29C3284.....the part number for the Pan ( 952391) is the same in all the ORD 9 part manuals I have including the late 1950's one.