Restoring M29C3284

M29C3284

I was thinking of maybe trying to reproduce a batch of this resistor as it seems to often be missing. If you have one that is not broken and can check the resistance value it would be very helpful. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I got 26µF ..the paper cover and insulator are both broken and the resistor looks slightly overheated in one spot, although the wire is still intact. My math says 8.6 volts, which seems a little high, but then again, the float gauge is presumably going to add resistance too?  I believe that the vast majority of WW2 gas gauges were made 6v (maybe all) - some of the Dodges &  half-tracks have similar resistor setups.

These guys are kinda turkeys and the product isn't made authentically, but I would bet it works:
https://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/products/new-fuel-gauge-resistor-cc921257-r

I have another one that I am going to try and get access to....I believe it is still intact, but as you know they are fragile little beasts.

Regards, Patrick

@OZM29C Yes, that's the one.

@Patrick Tipton I guess you measured 26 ohms and not 26 micro farad? I measured two NOS fuel senders and they both measured 0-125 ohms from full to empty, so when I did some calculation I came up with that the resistor should be around 60-65 ohms. Not sure if this is correct or not. Hopefully we can get a measurement from an undamaged resistor.

I have heard both good and bad about the commercially available resistors.   

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, M29C3284 said:

@OZM29C Yes, that's the one.

@Patrick Tipton I guess you measured 26 ohms and not 26 micro farad?

🤣 I demonstrate my electrically challenged nature.  I kept having to change ranges in order to get the reading.....I got 26 somethings!  @OZM29C will hopefully get a good measurement and I am going out this weekend to try and get one that from a resistor that is still intact.

Patrick

• Haha 1