Weasel Markings

Will Dodge

I was reviewing David Doyle's Book and the WW2 Markings Book and WOW! Were Weasels just marked at random? 

Some have stars? Some have the star and circles? Stars at the rear side? Stars in the middle? Many with no stars. 

" Instal drain plugs before " 

registration numbers in various locations? 

Early war blue and late war white marking mixed? 

Are they all correct? 

Were the M29 and M29C and M24 marked different? 

03M29WeaselAmphibian.jpg

6dc5ddc1257f91eb9fc913fe7873ca56.jpg

1752.jpg

628fe80ace48dad73e12fe464f9c0a88.jpg

46781441_1242804785858859_3965860298753048576_n.jpg

Edited by Will Dodge
Part of sentence missing

Greetings Will:

WW2 markings are a study in and of themselves.  There is no good book on WW2 marking in my opinion.  That being said, there are books that cover some areas better than others.

To start, you need a copy of AR 850-5 - Army Regulations for WW2 vehicles and equipment.  You can find it to download for free or we sell a printed copy for $10 or so.  There are 9 changes throughout WW2.

The T15/T24 were painted and marked distinctly from the factory presumably because they were part of a secret mission. These machines left the factory white with registration numbers on the bulkhead (and maybe the back panel??) @James Di Giovanni.  I have not seen period factory photos showing any registration numbers.

Once the machine got standardized as the M29, the markings should have been applied per AR850 above.

Marine Corps markings are a study themselves and there is very little information out there.  Brock Jolliffe has a Marine Corps M29C in Iwo camo...he is on this board so hopefully will chime in. 

In both cases, period photos are your friend. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Patrick Tipton said:

Greetings Will:

WW2 markings are a study in and of themselves.  There is no good book on WW2 marking in my opinion.  That being said, there are books that cover some areas better than others.

To start, you need a copy of AR 850-5 - Army Regulations for WW2 vehicles and equipment.  You can find it to download for free or we sell a printed copy for $10 or so.  There are 9 changes throughout WW2.

The T15/T24 were painted and marked distinctly from the factory presumably because they were part of a secret mission. These machines left the factory white with registration numbers on the bulkhead (and maybe the back panel??) @James Di Giovanni.  I have not seen period factory photos showing any registration numbers.

Once the machine got standardized as the M29, the markings should have been applied per AR850 above.

Marine Corps markings are a study themselves and there is very little information out there.  Brock Jolliffe has a Marine Corps M29C in Iwo camo...he is on this board so hopefully will chime in. 

In both cases, period photos are your friend. 

1 hour ago, Will Dodge said:

Were the data plates the same?