Water Pump Pulley Removal

OZM29C

@Patrick Tipton Patrick, the only safe way I found to remove a water pump pulley without damaging it was by the use of a purpose built strong-back made from a section of heavy duty steel flat bar. I have attached a photo showing the set up. BTW this photo was just for the camera to illustrate how I did it. I machined a recess into the bar to allow the fan spigot to sit freely into which in turn allowed the pulley face to sit flush against the strong-back and in turn when the securing bolts were tightened, they would exert and even force on the casting. 

I also drilled a 16mm hole in the centre to allow a 5/8" mandrel/drift to push against the water pump shaft. A lot of work but this method prevents any force being applied to the fragile outer edge. I also use this on Jeep water pump pulleys as well.

Cheers

JW

Water pump.JPG

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OZM29C said:

@Patrick Tipton Patrick, the only safe way I found to remove a water pump pulley without damaging it was by the use of a purpose built strong-back made from a section of heavy duty steel flat bar.

Appreciate it John.  I made something a little lighter and similar for jeep water pumps.  I will make something similar for the Weasel....I do not intend to break that pulley!

Thanks again.

BTW, I bought a carbide valve seat cutter for the motor I have been working on.  The valves cleaned up nicely but the seats don't look great.  It is a neat little set with a pilot bushing and several angles so you can get the correct valve seat width.  I have always just taken blocks to the machine shop and let them do it...I want to learn and worst case, I screw something up and have the machine show redo the valves with hardened inserts.  That would be an expensive lesson, but how else do you learn?

• Like 1

@Patrick TiptonOne last thing with water pumps. Dont forget to fit the bearing retainer. Photo below.

As for engines, nothing beats hands on experience. Having the right tool for the job is also a good start. I had no choice with my valve seats. They were beyond redemption so I had the machine shop fit hardened seats. Keep that March madness coming👍👍

Weasel engine 14 February 2015.jpg

Water pumps 009.jpg

Water pump 001.jpg

Edited by OZM29C
forgot to add a tag

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Patric, water pumps are Available but they are quite expensive. We bought a spare after we were having troubles with our pump. Believe it or not the repair kit was 2/3rds of the price of an entire new pump.... it made No sense

19241A21-980D-4BFC-A802-ED6BB49D9DCE.jpeg

5CDA972E-A864-4476-B4BC-0FA84D9873F5.jpeg

• 2 months later...

This might be quite elementary for most, and I've read the manual but still fail to understand. How is the belt removed from the water pump and crank? 

I've removed the one from the generator, unbolted the fan and loosened the " jam nut" but I still cant relive the tension to remove the belt.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Could some please provide a modern auto parts store part number for new replacement belts.              

3 hours ago, Price USMC said:

This might be quite elementary for most, and I've read the manual but still fail to understand. How is the belt removed from the water pump and crank? 

I've removed the one from the generator, unbolted the fan and loosened the " jam nut" but I still cant relive the tension to remove the belt.

Once you loosen the jam nut and then unscrew the set screw, you need to unscrew the pulley sheave itself.  Counterclockwise.  If it is stuck, penetrant and you can insert a screwdriver or something into the holes in the sheave casting to get a little leverage.