M29 ORD #1005

Patrick Tipton

Greetings guys.  Been having a blast with the M29.  The LAR tracks are outstanding and all of the other systems are working as designed.

I need to do a little patching under the gas tank and my plastic gas tank is just so-so.

I did a very quick and dirty paint job to bring it back to original white camo.  I have the prints for the camo (thanks @James Di Giovanni) - very fun thing to paint.  I used the old "eyecrometer" so not exactly to plans but good enough at this point.

My next objective is to get this machine steering with fingertip control.  I have NOS brake linings - next up for replacement.  It steers pretty well, but i have seen better so that is what I am shooting for here.

M29SnowCamo.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Patrick, That is great news that you are pleased with the LAR tracks. It is a well made unit. Keep us informed. Will you tension them a little less than the other tracks? I would be curious to find if the sprockets wear better with this set up. My feeling is that on snow the sprockets would favor the lubricating characteristics of the wet environment. It is encouraging that things are moving along.
Fred 

ps. I was told to stay off of big rocks about 3” in diameter or larger. That can damage and bend grousers. Probably same with original tracks. 

@F-D Zernia - so far, I have them about as tight.  They are running pretty well.  Most tracked vehicle have "front wheel" drive.....makes the entry angles for the sprockets much closer to 90 degrees and I think means you can run looser tracks without having a skipping problem.  With the rear sprocket drive on the Weasel, the first tooth contacting the track moving forward is at a pretty good angle so the forces want to push the track away from the sprocket/idler.  The only "fix" tight tracks.

I am really playing with the steering linkages and adjustments to make this Weasel turn with very little pressure.  I still have a bit to go, but I am making progress!

Cheers.

• 5 months later...

We have a military vehicle show next weekend and the M29 is looking a little ragged.  I decided to freshen the paint a little and finish the camouflage.  I got the driver side mostly sanded last night and will get it painted today. Interestingly enough, I have not found any hull markings, although the original registration number is behind the drivers seat.  I have a little more sanding yet, so something may still show up.  

M29Stripping.thumb.jpg.7621e695b3de4db05c8fba2c83d7edd2.jpg

Got the driver side prepped and primed.  It isn't perfect (I took most of the layers of paint off, but not quite down to bare metal), but better and good enough for right now.  This Weasel will get completely restored at some point, but not now.

I did spend a few minutes removing dents from the cockpit coaming and also welded up the wire edge where someone had cut about 1/2" in a few spots.   I stripped the engine cover too.  It looks a lot better and will look even better tomorrow when it is all white....and then we will add the camo.

I may do some bodywork tomorrow on the bow too....fix the big cut/replace about a square foot of steel.  We shall see.

M29Paint.thumb.jpg.c12e4422e63962ce0d3f5c373e848640.jpg

Did a little bodywork on the Weasel and got the camouflage mostly finished.   The front end took a pretty good hit at some point - we got a lot of it out and burned off a few lbs of lead and bondo.   I initially thought I would have to replace the front panel - I think we can probably straighten it out with a little creative metal bumping.

The camo pattern was hand drawn without measuring, so it isn't exact, but it is based off of the factory drawings for this pattern.  I will restore this hull at some point, but in the meantime, it runs and drives and is steering better and better.

M29Field.thumb.jpg.97c4268ea0893df09d2945568a26eca6.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 12:58 PM, aktrapperbrad said:

Looking good, Pat! I wouldn't worry about being exact on the pattern placement, even in the early 80's the factory fresh camo on the CUCKV's were not all the same, much less the line vehicles.

Appreciate it Brad.  Had a great time at the show.  Great machines...

Thank you @OZM29C John.  The track tensioning leaf springs on this machine probably need to be replaced.  The tracks don't skip when I am alone, but I have loaded the Weasel up with 3 other adults and I could jump teeth if I cranked on the steering.  I still have a little throw so am going to tighten them a bit more this weekend.....but in the meantime - I am just enjoying the machine.

I don't really drive this on pavement, but was at a show last weekend and took a lap or two....no hard turns on those expensive tracks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1