Insulation ideas to address a hot spot

OZM29C

Fellows,

Take a look at the photo in the drop box link below. I have circled an area on the accelerator linkage cover that needs to be insulated to prevent my lower leg being burnt from the heat radiating out of the engine compartment. Unfortunately there is not a lot of room to move my lower leg to avoid the hot spot and in turn this problem dictates how long I can drive the weasel for. Moving the steering tiller is not an option as my leg tends to rest on this accelerator linkage cover when mobile. I am sure that there must be some thin insulating material out there. Your thoughts are welcomed. Cheers.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/v3ygbnkkk6nigd654alo6/Weasel-Hot-Spot.jpg?rlkey=pk0wc9hakoidmykg3fmzzfjih&dl=0

• Like 1

Interesting that it gets that hot John.  Granted, I run mine in a much cooler climate and it does get pretty toasty in the driver seat, even in really cool weather. 

There is a good amount of clearance between the engine and the instrument panel in that area.  Provided that the heater door is working properly, I would try the aluminum firewall insulation - sound deadening too!

Cheers, Patrick

• Like 1

Interesting that your leg rests against that. My leg rests against the insulation above and in front of that. I would imagine that area to get hot as it is the heater duct. Seriously though, stuff something in it to block the flow of hot air.

Edited by Jesse Browning
Grammer

@Patrick Tipton You are right about not being a problem in a cooler climate. My weasel here when driving in hotter weather fries my leg, dehydrates me, there is good chance of sunburn which all in turn limits the time I can drive it. BTW I have it on my bucket list to finally see and touch snow. Hopefully that will happen when we cruise Alaska next year. The air vent next to my foot is permanently shut. Unfortunately the hot air exits the engine compartment through a rectangular hole cut in the dashboard (under the linkage cover in question) to accommodate the modified accelerator linkage. I am going to see if there is a thin section insulating board available. 

I anticipate a heat issue from the engine tunnel. I’m not to that point yet but have been looking at products used in stock car racing. Might I suggest you check with the racing community in your neck of the woods. They have the same problems with heat. I have seen reflective blankets and thin flexible insulation. 

We intend to insulate the inside of the tunnel so it cannot be seen by the casual observer. One thing I already did was wrap header tape on the exhaust header pipe to help on that side, but that will not save your leg. 

Another thing the racers do is wear heat insulated pants or suits. Our race season goes through the summer and it gets hot in those cars. If you look at the cars built lately the drivers compartment looks very similar to the Weasel’s.

Good luck

Fred

• 2 weeks later...