Modern bearing numbers for suspension

04mustang

Hi, 

I'm sure that this has been addressed in some form or fashion in the past but I can't seem to locate it.

Does anyone have a reference for modern bearing, race and seal numbers for the suspension on the weasels? Ive found the bogie seals with skf 12391. But can't find the bearings or races/cups.

Also looking for the same info on the idler and drive bearings.

And u joints for the drive shafts for that matter. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

1 hour ago, Patrick Tipton said:

The ORD 9 parts manual has Timken numbers......you should be able to find everything you need online pretty easily.

Thank you Patrick. I found those numbers for the bogie parts but nothing in the manual has a Timken or any civilain bearing numbers for the return rollers, idler, or drive parts. 

So the search continues....

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, 04mustang said:

Thank you Patrick. I found those numbers for the bogie parts but nothing in the manual has a Timken or any civilain bearing numbers for the return rollers, idler, or drive parts. 

So the search continues....

I will look in a little while....I have seen them somewhere....

Bogey Wheel Bearing Part # 
Bearing 09078
Race    09194

Return rollers are needle bearings 2 per wheel . I use Koyo brand T0116P532533 . Yamulla at Military Vehicle Supply has them I got the koyo brand from a local supplier

Price to re bearing a complete M29 weasel around 800 to 1000.00 +

Dan

Edited by M29
  • Thanks 1

FWIW - the early ORD 789 G154/179 does have the Timken Numbers....they are only cross referenced to the Group so the chart itself is not useful without the rest of the book - you have to go to the Group Number and locate the Timken Number there (usually in a parenthesis...)

Here is the download: 

and we sell a nice reprint if you want the printed and bound version:  https://www.portrayalpress.com/product-p/ord-789-g154.htm

• Thanks 1

@04mustangAs an alternative to the return roller needle bearing, I have fitted bronze bushings. This mod was done to the Australian Weasels operating in Antarctica. This mod also allows you to fit a wider bushing (on one side only) to more evenly distribute the load. The take out return roller shafts that I have all show extreme wear in way of the needle rollers. The needle rollers don't take too kindly to lack of lubrication and being exposed to water/moisture. Just a thought. I have attached a couple of photos for you to study. Cheers

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

27 June 2017.JPG

Return roller gasket.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Patrick Tipton said:

FWIW - the early ORD 789 G154/179 does have the Timken Numbers....they are only cross referenced to the Group so the chart itself is not useful without the rest of the book - you have to go to the Group Number and locate the Timken Number there (usually in a parenthesis...)

Here is the download: 

and we sell a nice reprint if you want the printed and bound version:  https://www.portrayalpress.com/product-p/ord-789-g154.htm

Thank you Sir!, I already had purchased it from you some time back, just didn't have it with me at the time I was typing yesterday. I spent some time a dug through both manuals and found the chart you referenced.  It is a bit confusing but I worked through it with the group numbers. 

6 hours ago, OZM29C said:

@04mustangAs an alternative to the return roller needle bearing, I have fitted bronze bushings. This mod was done to the Australian Weasels operating in Antarctica. This mod also allows you to fit a wider bushing (on one side only) to more evenly distribute the load. The take out return roller shafts that I have all show extreme wear in way of the needle rollers. The needle rollers don't take too kindly to lack of lubrication and being exposed to water/moisture. Just a thought. I have attached a couple of photos for you to study. Cheers

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

27 June 2017.JPG

Return roller gasket.pdf 86.28 kB · 0 downloads

John, I have to ask, where did you find the return roller bushings and shafts?

I do believe I will end up needing to replace at least 2 if not all 4 of the shafts on my M29C because they appear to be bent from over tension of the tracks.

you can weld up the old shafts and turn them down.  I had to do this on several and works well. Also if not a machinist any decent machine shop can remake those shafts no sweat! Mine were worn where the bearing froze up and ate into the shaft.

Dan

Edited by M29
  • Like 1

Here is all in one bearing/race/seal chart that I've put together for future reference for anyone that may be looking through manuals and searching for this info. Im still needing some info on U joints and a few oil seals though. 

Item Description Quantity Needed Ord Number Studebaker Number Timken Number SKF Number Koyo Number
Bogie Bearing 32 705371 SD-511587 9078    
Bogie Cup/Race 32 706806 SD-130983 9194    
Bogie Oil Seal 32 7061963 SD-901988   12391  
Return Roller Bearing 8 709424 SD-900812     T0116P532533
Return Roller Insulator 8 7016439 SD-199388      
Return Roller Shaft 4 7010417 SD-908277      
Idler/Drive Bearing Inner 4 705053   387-A    
Idler/Drive Cup/Race Inner 4 706647   382    
Idler/Drive Oil Seal Inner 4 A307800 SD-900816      
Idler/Drive Bearing Outer 4 705034   359-S    
Idler/Drive Cup/Race Outer 4 706640   354-A    
Drive Wheel Axle Shaft Seal 2 7016436 SD-908496      
U Joint 2 A307552 SD-188641      
Differential Axle Bearing 2 A307794 SD-900733 25581    
Differential Axle Cup/Race 2 A307793 SD-900732 25520    
Edited by 04mustang
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, 04mustang said:

John, I have to ask, where did you find the return roller bushings and shafts?

I do believe I will end up needing to replace at least 2 if not all 4 of the shafts on my M29C because they appear to be bent from over tension of the tracks.

I machined the bushings to suit from stock bronze. A very simple job for a capable machinist.