Fuel tank Sender Unit

OZM29C

Have you ever wondered what was inside a fuel tank sender unit. I have recently had to refurbish my fuel tank send unit so I took a few happy snaps to share. The soft solder that secured the fuel pick up pipe to where it goes through the sender unit had sheered. This in turn created an external fuel leak by the fuel sloshing around in the tank. I tried to re solder the joint in situ but met with no success. I decided to dismantle the sender unit so I could silver solder all of the joints proper. I am now just waiting on some rubberised cork gasket material in order to reassemble the unit. The sender units are well made but very delicate to get the internals apart.   

27Apr2021 (2).JPG

27Apr2021 (3).JPG

27Apr2021 (1).JPG

• Like 1

Hi Everyone

My T15 fuel sender was really bad.  The ribbon inside just fell apart. So what I did was contacted Tri Star Radiator in NY and talked to Dan the owner who told me to send me the old sender and  gauge I wanted to use and he would make me a new modern one calibrated to the gauge and tank size. I am including a couple pictures. Cost was around 225.00 USD. Essentially the top housing was all that was used of the old sender. I thought this was a great solution I could not find an original sender anywhere. So although not exactly original it is close enough. Hope this helps anyone facing a similar problem.

Dan

https://tristarrradiator.com/

20210429_084021[1].jpg

20210429_084041[1].jpg

Edited by M29
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Guido Ferluga said:

Hello I found the float on the tank of the generator is practically identical I just have to make the hole for the fuel fishing. I ask you if you can kindly give me the dimensions of the system for simplicity 
I am attaching a photo with highlighted the measures I need thanks

Inkedstudebaker-weasel-m29-m29c-fuel_1_4dd5357b70de919905348218468848b8_LI.jpg

IMG-20210325-WA0019.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, M29 said:

Finally John after all the years! Really Awesome!

Dan

@M29Thanks for the BZ Dan 👍Actually the restoration took 22 years. Still got some small finishing jobs to do like fitting the Canvas seat and seat back covers when they arrive from the UK but its drivable now, not a garden ornament.

@Patrick TiptonPatrick, any chance you could right my photo please? I still don't know why my I phone randomly inverts photos??????

• Like 1

What I forgot to mention, in the picture the red wire was the power wire for the later model electric fuel pump. As my weasel has the mechanical fuel pump, I have re purposed this wire to be an earth wire from the fuel tank back to the fuel gauge.

• 1 month later...