Distributor wiring

RAS1

Hi!

I have just test run my weasel first time since I got it. Coil wire positive lead was loose. 

The previous owner included a ceramic resistor, but was obvious aftermarket and was broken. 

I hooked the positive lead to the run position on my switch. I did not use a resistor. 

Had lots of trouble with spark, boils down to melted plastic wiper on points, end of points were blue from being heated.

I am changing the points and condenser,  but I'm wondering if the originally used a resistor in line with the coil? Or direct to switch?

I dont need to melt another set of points. But it may be the previous owner left the switch on?

Thanks! 

Dave16239851704138736976120661295981.thumb.jpg.3fe452f60d86455efb4363b7cb1dbcaf.jpg

As I am sure you know, the Weasel has a 12 volt electrical system - there are no resistors.  Check your coil - is it 12 volt?  Resistors are often used on 6 to 12 volt conversions so maybe someone had a 6 volt coil laying around that they wanted to use.

I am not sure what happened to those points...maybe left the switch on with the points slightly open?

Great comments!  I will check the voltage on the coil.

I think they previous owner left the switch on, as they were fried when I got it.

Obviously my M29C has a coil on the front of the distributor, and the generator is on top.  I would assume it was 12 volt, rather than the 6 volt conversion with resistor as pictured above for the t-15.

So many changes for such a short run vehicle!

Thanks,

Dave

I took a couple pictures of the parts manual of the T15 engine and also the early M29 engine which I assumed was the predecessor to the T24 anyway for what it is worth here are some pictures.  Also I don't think this was a 6 to 12 volt conversion. The early 6 volt coils only had one post besides the high tension wire. It appears from the parts pictures both the T15 and the M29 which also would mean the T24 were equipped from the factory this way. Look closely at both pictures and you will see they used the same domed coil. 

Dan

T24 coil picture.png

early T15 Coil.png

20210618_111756.jpg

20210618_111855.jpg

Edited by M29

@M29 Dan....I think all models of the Weasel shipped with a 12 volt coil.  The part number is SD-900793 - Autolite Model CM4006 and it has a G154 number (T15).  The bracket changed over the course of production, but I don't see any changes on the coil itself.   I think the post on the bottom is just for ground, no?

Hi Pat

Yes all weasels were twelve volt. There are two posts  + and - on the bottom of the 12 volt coil shown in my pictures. The purpose of my picture was to show the resistor and how it was mounted on the early weasel 12 volt coil as manufacturer supplied. I thought I would also post a picture of the early style 12 volt starter solenoid at least for the T15. This solenoid had a removable cap that you could depress and engage the starter manually...whoo hoo!!

Dan.

T15 starter Solenoid.jpg

Edited by M29

Thanks Dan.  That is a cool solenoid - I had one like that on a Ford tractor...super useful, although you always have to be careful to make sure it doesn't start in gear!

Does your coil have a part number on it?  I am not seeing the external resistor on the coil on the T24 engine...either in the original G179 Studebaker parts manual or the early TM 9-1772A..... and both the leads are coming off of the top of the coil.

Coil.thumb.jpg.1e60359f15df6c2c8d9d75f1666907ef.jpg

Pat

Part # on my old original coil (which is kaput) is CM 4010. The resistor in the coil of your picture is internal just like the picture in my previous post it is under the domed cap (removable) on the bottom of the coil. This type of coil is very hard to find and pricey. From all info I could find the part# signifies the year. After many months of looking I ended up finding a nice NOS 12V one on ebay from Germany a 1955 model which looks closely identical being the center high tension post is slightly offset from the old original. Another thing about the NOS one I bought is it uses the separate mounting bracket like the weasel. Many you see have the mounting bracket spot welded to the coil. 

Dan

Ebay Coil.png

Ebay coil 2.png

Edited by M29

That is great Dan - thank you for the information.  I too have been looking for an original....they don't seem to come up at all...

I did a little research and it appears that many 12 volt systems aim to have 6-8 volts at the points to reduce arcing and wear.  Thus the internal resistor in the coil or the need for an external resistor.  Back to @RAS1 Dave, you may need to run a resistor because your coil may not have an internal resistor.... apologies for any confusion!

On 6/20/2021 at 11:04 AM, M29 said:

Vintage wiring of maine

https://vintagewiring.com/product/studebaker-m29-amphibious-tracked-vehicle-weasel-plug-wires/

207.465.3431|info@vintagewiring.com

I can vouch for their wiring harnesses. Apart from a few time consuming typos in their instruction sheet, their quality is worth the cost. I think that the battery cables were extra as well.

Wiring Harness 1.JPG

Wiring Harness 2.JPG

Wiring Harness 3.JPG

• 7 months later...

To follow up on this topic, Mercedes at Vintage Wire says she is out of spark plug resistor ends. If I get them to her, she will assemble. Are these correct from Peter Debella? They are sold individually.

image.jpeg.4d4f5d9df45607bc81bcff776da91ff2.jpeg

What about the rain caps? Rubber or Bakelite?

image.thumb.jpeg.5c538b8f6101a064d3a7169dc0a57a17.jpeg

or am I way off?

image.jpeg

Edited by Prc148