Differential Steering Band Seals

M29

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can locate the tapered seals that go around the steering band shafts 900677 on the weasel differential also the tapered seals that go around the 4 steering band bolts that are located on the differential housing. Mine just fell apart. I was thinking maybe a rubber o ring would suffice. Any thoughts??

Dan

@M29 Dan, Gary Scechy's excellent article on the final drive makes mention on his solution to your problem. In my case I machined out of Nylon stock a very close fitting tapered collar/seal that pushed onto the shaft. Same deal for the brake band shafts. Time will tell if these work. On the other bolts etc, I too used O rings. Cheers

This service is required to restore proper steering and braking operation of the M29 Studebaker Weasel.docx

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/4/2021 at 10:20 PM, OZM29C said:

@M29 Dan, Gary Scechy's excellent article on the final drive makes mention on his solution to your problem. In my case I machined out of Nylon stock a very close fitting tapered collar/seal that pushed onto the shaft. Same deal for the brake band shafts. Time will tell if these work. On the other bolts etc, I too used O rings. Cheers

This service is required to restore proper steering and braking operation of the M29 Studebaker Weasel.docx 275.59 kB · 13 downloads

We should put this article in the documents tab so it's easy to find. It's very well written and contains some very useful knowledge!

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dan, did you wind up using the O rings in place of the tapered seals? Im in the same predicament now. I just had the steering bands relined and am putting the rear end back together. But as your tapered seals disintegrated, so did mine. How did you make out?

Steve