How to transport a M-29C. Newbie questions

Heepjeep

I've purchased a 1945 M-29C from the family of a former coworker.  It's a 600 mile 10.5 hour 2 day trip tentatively scheduled for President's Day weekend, assuming the weather through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas is permitting.  It is located just south of the Oklahoma panhandle in very north Texas.  Lots of 2 lane roads for a couple hours to get there and back. 

I am taking my F-350 and a 2 axle 16 foot trailer rated at 5k lbs.  The photos are below although I can't explain why they present how they are upside down etc.  They aren't like that in the computer file.  The M-29C is a runner.  

I've got a few weeks to get ready for my trip.  Here is my list of things to do and questions.

1.  Remove all accessories and loose items like the fire extinguisher rope etc.  

2.  Take off the top and bows.

3.  Secure the windshield.  Question: Is there a tie down for the windshield for the brush guard on the front?

4.  Question:  How do I secure it to the trailer?  I am thinking to use the pintle in the back as a tie down point.  Also I can likely use straps on the idler wheel trumpets crossed to the front of the trailer.  In the middle I am thinking of running one under the weasel on a middle spring to the side of the trailer...criss-crossed to the opposite side.

5.  Question:  Better to haul facing forwards or backwards?

6.  Question:  How do you do it?  Can people post pictures of how they do it?

How do you do it?  

Thanks

LTC (ret) Tim

image1.jpeg.bd47540573c123daa704b9d92f49617e.jpegimage0.jpeg.5d11895b7010186e92a064058fcee145.jpeg

To answer a couple of your other questions, there are latches to secure the windshield to the brush guard. Regarding loading as you can see I loaded mine on forwards, the bulkhead of the Weasel is it's centre point so I loaded mine with the centre point just forward of the centre axle of the trailer so the weight was biased toward the hitch

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I have created these to chock the tracks in place.  The bungees with carabiners should keep them from falling off the trailer and hopefully next to the tracks.  The bungees are 2’ so it should go through the gaps of the grousers.  If too long I can always twist to shorten the distance. 

5655AD99-C0E3-4BD6-A53E-4D11DE88F222.jpeg

5D7F8AA4-32ED-46D5-BB5B-6E9330B945CE.jpeg

31DE6386-21D1-422C-BDBB-DEF0AD7FEFCB.jpeg

Edited by Heepjeep

Congrats Tim!

A Weasel is 2 tons and pulls heavy.  Your F350 will pull it fine, but you will know you have a load back there.  As others have said, remove the top.  I would remove the windshield too just to be safe.

I have straps that I wrap around the front axle and then crisscross with a chain to the front of the trailer.  I do the same on the rear and tighten the chain with a binder.  You need the straps/yoke to keep the wire/strap out of the track.  I generally like @Beepbeep's setup....although I use chains in the rear and I like the lower pulling point of the rear axle trumpets.  I have strapped them from the pintle too....works but when you tighten, you need to crank pretty firmly because you are mostly compressing the springs at that angle.  The springs are kinda soft so make sure you get them tensioned or the machine could bounce. 

Tracked vehicles have low ground pressure and will go over those chocks pretty easily but I get the instinct.  Belts and suspenders!

Looking forward to seeing your machine in action!

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...

This is how we did it.  It worked pretty well. We did one tighten up along the way of the comealongs.  

The emotional support chocks worked well and the front ones were slightly scrunched after the catastrophic tire explosion and sudden stop along the way.  I had to work to get them removed when I off loaded it by myself.  

The trailer didn’t have stake pockets so we tied off the frame in the front and verticles in the back.  

We did use jackstands when loading near the rear of the trailer which was a good move.  We did have one get stuck under the trailer but we used a Jack and it came off. 

LTC (ret) Tim

99FE5CB1-FE51-4BA1-9A38-0941552D0B4A.png

66E28DD4-37CC-4512-9158-AD92F0DDB4E9.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

New question! We are planning to mount an electric winch on our trailer to pull the weasel on it. Mainly for if we have trouble, or just to take the loading easy. But what would you guys recommend with regards to the weight rating of the winch? The ramps are about 7 feet long, and the trailer is maybe 2,5 feet high. The weasel is hard to pull of push, but do we really need a 10k pounds winch? Maybe an idea to create a kind of checklist for transporting a weasel with do's and dont's? 

Thanks in advance! 

Pips

Edited by Pips_Blaauw
  • Like 1

I do think 10k is overkill since the Weasel is about 2 tons/4k.  That being said - more is usually better! 

I agree that a checklist would be super helpful for transporting them.  I am running around a bit - let's see if someone takes a shot - otherwise I will try to put one together.

Cheers, Patrick

Hi Pips,

Transporting is different for everyone. It depends what you have access to. Ordinarily I like chain, but they can scratch or dent things. lately I have been working with ratchet straps they work well and do not weigh as much. The down side of straps is cutting into the fibers where it goes over a sharp or right angle corner. The fix is what we call a softer over the edge so it takes the abuse and not the strap. This recently ruined one of my new straps because I forgot to bring rubber for the softer.

I have payed attention to how tracked construction equipment is tied down. Cross the straps or chains to avoid shifting and pull away from the center front and rear. I’m concerned that these tracks can slide from side to side but that has not happened yet.

Notice the below picture. The company that transported my Weasel tied to the sides. This roller broke off probably from shifting. He couldn’t pull away from the front and back for lack of space since the trailer was full. I understand why it was loaded like this and just accept it but will learn from it.IMG_1920.thumb.png.5f416634778c1e01f1f7568127ac2f65.png

IMG_1919.thumb.png.ef1fdff0f779bc7af90553e205c2966c.pngAs far as a winch goes, I bolted a 2 Ton unit to the front of the trailer. Just because it was available. It did the job easily, but I intend to get a 3 or 4 Ton to use permanent. If anything rolls freely you shouldn’t need anything big. Trouble is you will need it most when something is broke or damaged. And if you are actively using your machine or having winter fun there will be more stress on everything. 

Also I keep my rigging in plastic milk crates. It’s handy and convenient.

I will contribute more at another time. 

Regards.   Fred

• Like 1

Hi All,

The picture shows what I carry to tie down on the trailer. I was wrong before with the winch capacity. This winch is 2000 pounds. It gets the job done with ease. I recommend more capacity though for harsh conditions. I used this because it was available. 
    These items are not only for the Weasel but things in general. All of the larger straps are used to tie down the Weasel though. I also have enough chain to accomplish the same tasks. IMG_1947.thumb.png.fab2e371fee490cd4f27fdd6b19c561d.pngAlso. If you buy used shackles from tool sales or swap meets. Be certain the threaded ends are flush with the body when tightened fully. If the tread extends past the shackle face it was stretched and should not be trusted. 

FredIMG_1948.thumb.png.61baf29b0ac08ad493b89bb62342ac36.png

On 6/23/2023 at 8:24 PM, F-D Zernia said:

Hi Pips,

Transporting is different for everyone. It depends what you have access to. Ordinarily I like chain, but they can scratch or dent things. lately I have been working with ratchet straps they work well and do not weigh as much. The down side of straps is cutting into the fibers where it goes over a sharp or right angle corner. The fix is what we call a softer over the edge so it takes the abuse and not the strap. This recently ruined one of my new straps because I forgot to bring rubber for the softer.

I have payed attention to how tracked construction equipment is tied down. Cross the straps or chains to avoid shifting and pull away from the center front and rear. I’m concerned that these tracks can slide from side to side but that has not happened yet.

Notice the below picture. The company that transported my Weasel tied to the sides. This roller broke off probably from shifting. He couldn’t pull away from the front and back for lack of space since the trailer was full. I understand why it was loaded like this and just accept it but will learn from it.IMG_1920.thumb.png.5f416634778c1e01f1f7568127ac2f65.png

IMG_1919.thumb.png.ef1fdff0f779bc7af90553e205c2966c.pngAs far as a winch goes, I bolted a 2 Ton unit to the front of the trailer. Just because it was available. It did the job easily, but I intend to get a 3 or 4 Ton to use permanent. If anything rolls freely you shouldn’t need anything big. Trouble is you will need it most when something is broke or damaged. And if you are actively using your machine or having winter fun there will be more stress on everything. 

Also I keep my rigging in plastic milk crates. It’s handy and convenient.

I will contribute more at another time. 

Regards.   Fred

pfff see thats what we need to avoid... lesson learned indeed...

1 hour ago, F-D Zernia said:

Hi All,

The picture shows what I carry to tie down on the trailer. I was wrong before with the winch capacity. This winch is 2000 pounds. It gets the job done with ease. I recommend more capacity though for harsh conditions. I used this because it was available. 
    These items are not only for the Weasel but things in general. All of the larger straps are used to tie down the Weasel though. I also have enough chain to accomplish the same tasks. IMG_1947.thumb.png.fab2e371fee490cd4f27fdd6b19c561d.pngAlso. If you buy used shackles from tool sales or swap meets. Be certain the threaded ends are flush with the body when tightened fully. If the tread extends past the shackle face it was stretched and should not be trusted. 

FredIMG_1948.thumb.png.61baf29b0ac08ad493b89bb62342ac36.png

Good tips! In that case our 4000 pounds winch should be plenty...

• 1 month later...

I took my weasel to a local machinery show and in doing so, I took the opportunity to take a photo showing how I secure my weasel on the back of my truck. The attached photo shows the position of all tie down straps but more importantly my weasel is secure. I have travelled thousands of kilometres using this method.

Weasel Eulah Creek 6 August 2023.jpg

• Like 1