Track Band belting thickness

Seabeeparke

Good evening, I'm planning out the job of repairing my tracks using rock conveyor. I have type 3 tracks. So far I have a large supply of heavy duty 1/2" thick belting which I intend to use for my outer bands. What thickness should be used for the inner bands? Will the 1/2" work? Any advice from someone with experience in this would be greatly appreciated. If a thicker belt is needed, does anyone have a good source? I'm located in PA so a source on the East coast is preferred.

Edited by Seabeeparke

• 3 weeks later...

I would use the same thickness of belting as the inner band  (1" thick I think is the thickness of the inner band) that way you will not change the pitch. Outer band you can use 1/2" I once used two layers of 1/2 inch and went the full width from each inner band to outer band. The LAR track is the same way. If using a double layer you can overlap your joint so it is invisible. Belting is not a bad way to go. The big problem with the belted tracks using the original pads is pad breakage from age of pads and also road pads that are worn causing uneven impact to one side of track pad. There have been numerous attempts at resolving the road pad issue. I have attached an article from the old weasel site on a weasel restored by Byron Kay in England He restored a weasel and installed road pads with a rubber adhesive that looked interesting. There was a youtube video at one time as well of the completed weasel.  

Dan

ByronP1.thumb.jpg.1228c2e69bf244ac75c7c97a40c6db10.jpg

• Like 1

One more thing that is critical is getting the right length of band. Most old tracks are stretched so not sure of the exact size. Rob Walsh or Jim Gilmore know much more about the technical details so might ask them. there are drawings of the tracks from the archives so dimensions should be available. I myself would like to know. I know when I belted my tracks I had problems with sprocket tooth engagement. Not bad but noticeable wear on sprocket teeth

Dan

Edited by M29
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...