Welcome

Patrick Tipton

Greetings.

Since the demise of the Weasel forum, it seems that most of the discussion around Weasel restoration has moved to Facebook. While it is nice that there is a place to find and share with other Weasel enthusiasts, I think the format offered by Facebook leaves a lot to be desired.  Most importantly, posts quickly get buried and while Facebook has search features, I think the "traditional" forum approach is superior.  I personally find it difficult to find information and see that most of these groups end up with the same questions and discussions over and over again.  I also don't like that Facebook's algorithms are more concerned with showing ads than showing relevant information and unless you specifically check out your groups, many posts will not show up on your timeline.

So while I think there is a good reason to continue to post and play on groups like the G179 on Facebook, I feel like the Weasel community needs its own active forum to provide important resources to Weasel collectors and restorers.  I created Project Plough.org to serve this purpose.

I have been a part of the launch and maintenance of other forums, including the successful N Tractor Club - a site dedicated to the Ford N series tractors (1939-1952).  As forum technology evolved, I also learned that forum administrators don't want to be in the internet security business or the forum support business.  These tasks are increasingly complicated and require full time attention. Fortunately, there are companies that will host forums like this one and they have dedicated staff to watch for internet bad guys and keep things running smoothly.  They aren't perfect, but they are certainly better than I will ever be.  The upside is that this forum is backed up daily.  All of the technical aspects, including security, are managed by the folks who wrote the software.  Importantly, this means that the information that gets shared and created will be here as long as the site is running and in the event that something bad happens, it will be easy to get a working copy of the site back up and running.

A little background on me.  I am the owner of Portrayal Press.  We have been around since about 1980 and the founder, Dennis Spence, was very involved with the creation of the Military Vehicle Preservation Association (Member #1) and also the founding of Military Vehicle Magazine.  I took the business over when he retired and have been trying to ensure that the massive amount of information and manuals that he collected continue to be made available to enthusiasts and restorers.  I also publish a weekly series of videos called ShopTime on YouTube.  I restored a 1943 Willys MB over the last several years and just started a T-24 restoration in January.  I will be posting regularly to this forum to document the T-24 restoration and share the information that I am learning as I do the restoration.

Patrick

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad you've created this forum. I'm a new Weasel owner and I'm sure this group will be extremely helpful with it's restoration. The Weasel I have is running and driving but in desperate need of a hull rebuild and a full restoration. Your thread on your restoration is a great reference tool.

Screenshot_20200224-055448.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Patrick,

I also am new to the Weasel having picked up my M29 last fall. Mine had not been started since 1985 so I was surprised when I changed all the fluids and put new plugs, wires, distributor and rotor it started right up and ran like a champ. I have some other hurdles to cross but I think I am off to a great start. Looking forward to your videos on YouTube. I am also not a fan of Facebook so glad I found this forum. I have purchase a couple of your manuals and they have been a great help so far. 

Thanks again,

Rick

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rick Ardell said:

Thanks Patrick,

I also am new to the Weasel having picked up my M29 last fall. Mine had not been started since 1985 so I was surprised when I changed all the fluids and put new plugs, wires, distributor and rotor it started right up and ran like a champ. I have some other hurdles to cross but I think I am off to a great start.

Thanks Rick - welcome aboard!  Would love to see pictures of your Weasel - if you want, you can start a thread or post them in an album in the Gallery. 

Looking forward to watching you get your M29 back into shape and learning in the process.  Thanks for your support!

Patrick

• 5 months later...

I traded for this weasel. Don’t have a clue where to start figuring out what I got myself into! Runs and drives, pallets of spare parts and an extra motor. I just finished rebuilding the water pump, the floor under gas tank and the rot under radiator. I guess keeping water out means trapped water is kept in? I have extra tracks that are broken that I want to rebuild with conveyor belt. Look forward to this project. 

4ECAFAFF-A876-4419-B0A6-6CBD8EBA45A7.jpeg

971C2E46-03D6-473C-BF76-4C2AAD2B8EC1.jpeg

• Like 2

That is a great looking machine.  We like G503's too!  Nice GPW.

Looks like a nice looking M29C.  Post the data tags & hull number on the serial number/Numbers wanted post if you have a moment.

Welcome aboard - lots of knowledgeable folks on this board who will help you with questions.  There are quite a few guys working on tracks too...so lots of options there, including some who are offering kits to do the repairs.

Patrick

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for putting together this forum Patrick and for allowing me to join. I signed up last year and have been lurking in the background picking up tips and info which has led to me buying a Weasel! It’s an M29C, ex Norwegian Army and I’ll post some info in the serial number thread

Chris

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just got into Weasels. My Father was in Sherman Tanks during WW2. Well, a Sherman Tank is not in the budget at this time. So a nice tracked Weasel project shall do. 

Jumped right in and bought one. Good Bad or whatever. My Wife and I got it home and think that we are looking at a 2 or 3 year project. Hope to learn a lot of basic skills of the way. Broken Track and lots and lots of rust and changed parts etc. Was told that it was an M29C. I'm thinking more or an early T24, right now. A real data plate or two would be nice. One in back compartment is broken. One normally in front of driver, is replaced with what I believe is an incorrect repop data plate. Do have a re-build 1954 data plate. Pics will be coming, later. Was told it was running 10 years ago before they started to restore it. 

From what I can tell French style tracks, which are broken and rusted, etc. Engine and transmission were changed out to a Ford engine and auto transmission. Have a nice Hurst shifter on my type 3 or 4 Instrument panel. I'm told that before last owner it was used at a ski resort. Lots of interesting stories. Looking for facts.

Stay Safe Everyone.

Later 42rocker 

• Like 1

Update to my above post. After a Great talk with Patrick, it looks like we have a early M29 Weasel. Has the Airborne bolt set up and several other items that point to an early M29. (update 09/08/2021) Change that to a T24. Why? Found on the remaining 3/4 inch of the left side body tag the letter "U", which should mean UST-24. 

Thanks Again Patrick.

Stay Safe Everyone.

Later 42rocker 

Edited by 42rocker
update / correction
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 9:38 PM, 42rocker said:

Update to my above post. After a Great talk with Patrick, it looks like we have a early M29 Weasel. Has the Airborne bolt set up and several other items that point to an early M29. (update 09/08/2021) Change that to a T24. Why? Found on the remaining 3/4 inch of the left side body tag the letter "U", which should mean UST-24. 

Thanks Again Patrick.

Stay Safe Everyone.

Later 42rocker 

Welcome aboard Tim.  I am pretty sure your Weasel is an early M29 - one of the first 1,000 or so.  They were badged with a T-24 hull tag!

Talk soon!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello from the uk,just into my willys jeep restoration..my thoughts already moving on a possible next project..hence the weasel forum!!

Really intrigued by the m29 and I'm enjoying the research!!

No doubt I will be asking numerous dumb and probably stupid questions to those in the know!! Hopefully I will get some not so stupid answers

I enjoy Patrick's shop time ,very informed and helpful,so happy weaseling!!!!

• Like 1