Sprocket, track and bogie advice

Beepbeep

Hi all, I joined the forum a year ago with the intention of buying a Weasel and sure enough one came up in March this year, a 1945 M29C with all the floater gear removed. I’m in the UK and the Weasel was in Norway. I’ve bought vehicles in the US and France in the past but buying during a pandemic was a learning curve and the deal was done with only photos, videos and phone calls. Shipping was the hardest part but back in June I travelled to Immingham docks to pick the Weasel up and bring it home.

I was so relieved to find it was even better than described, very original (I think) and not messed about. The seller had said it needed new tracks and after re-commissioning (it’s been in storage for 20+ years) I finally drove it last weekend. The good news is that it moves ok in a straight line but any attempt at turning either way made the left track jump the sprocket teeth.

Observations and thoughts are as follows, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The teeth on the left sprockets are very worn. I’m told that building them up with weld isn’t possible as they’re hardened. I’ve found new sets online from Accu-rite Machine in California and have read a couple of good reports on them on this forum. Anyone had any experience of them either good or bad?

6B825E8F-E620-464E-AC9E-8DB1C38AF1E6.thumb.jpeg.a412027683344f0032ce02483fd11527.jpeg1607F712-8E3E-498C-A139-90BA74C1FB00.thumb.jpeg.e34b94cdc7f32f61d271ba90257530f6.jpeg

The tracks themselves seem in reasonable condition apart from one cracked groused. They have 55 grousers and have been rebuilt at some time with Norwegian inner bands and this bracket and link arrangement replacing the outer bands

27DCF3C9-79A5-4E19-AA9D-63B9C3024947.thumb.jpeg.6f6d8ca966edcf23523323f6aeac092f.jpeg

The tracks lack tension and the adjustment stops are fully at the bottom of their travel so there’s no adjustment left. The tensioning spring looks to have some arching in it but does anyone have the correct spec and would re-arching help get more adjustment?

A6B54D9B-3C08-44F3-8E9B-85E540021C41.thumb.jpeg.2ca14d2cac4ce0500de650a4e89b5307.jpeg

The rubber on the idler wheels, drive wheels and support wheels is damaged in places and varies in thickness between 1/16” and an 1/8”. The worst one is shown below, the rubber is level with the metal rim. Does anyone know the correct thickness and am I right in thinking having the correct thickness rubber on would gain me a bit more tension in the tracks?

FAEA4764-B609-4863-8BAE-4B7CDEE4A5CC.thumb.jpeg.672b19195ab1766752aa4117a64c2b1b.jpeg

Three of the bogie wheels on the right side are odd with a much bigger offset than the others. Are they post war manufacture or off something else?

17C0F974-7DA0-4CB5-B849-FA054C642756.thumb.jpeg.fc5ef4d43654b013162be6a34c35ab10.jpeg

TIA

Chris

• Like 1

Sounds like you are off to a great start. Good Luck with the sockets. My Weasel tracks are in several piles, that's more than 4 piles of broken apart track sections. 

Thanks for your picture share. 

Stay Safe Everyone.

Later 42rocker

Edited by 42rocker
spellllling
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, M29 said:

Your track bands look like new

I don’t know the history of it but it was first registered in Norway in 1997 and I’m assuming it was painted and marked up at that point, whether the tracks were rebuilt then or by the Norwegian Army previous to that I don’t know but the bands are Norwegian. The seller bought it two years ago and told me it had been in storage for 20 years previous to that so it’s done very little, there’s only 2,850 miles on the clock. When I re-commissioned it I was amazed to find a Fram military oil filter in it, AC plugs and Autolite points etc

3 hours ago, OZM29C said:

@Beepbeep Your sprocket teeth look decidedly worn. I have got a drawing somewhere at home that shows the correct tooth profile but as a comparison, attached is a photo of my LAR sprockets and you can see the difference in the teeth when compared to yours. Unfortunately LAR don't make this sprocket any more.

IMG_3789.JPG

Seeing those shows just how worn my sprockets are, thanks for that. I’ve ordered a set from Accu-rite Machine works in California so hopefully that’ll be the first step in rectifying my problem. Thanks again

32 minutes ago, 42rocker said:

Beepbeep

Please let us know how the sprockets are from Accu-rite Machine works in California. 

Good Luck

Later 42rocker

Will do rocker, they’re off to a good start I was messaged yesterday to say the sprockets will be shipped this week!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 6:38 AM, OZM29C said:

@Beepbeep Your sprocket teeth look decidedly worn. I have got a drawing somewhere at home that shows the correct tooth profile but as a comparison, attached is a photo of my LAR sprockets and you can see the difference in the teeth when compared to yours. Unfortunately LAR don't make this sprocket any more.

IMG_3789.JPG

@OZM29C I see you've bolted your sprockets and drive wheels, did you use countersunk socket head screws on the sprocket side?

9 hours ago, Beepbeep said:

@OZM29C I see you've bolted your sprockets and drive wheels, did you use countersunk socket head screws on the sprocket side?

@BeepbeepI did indeed. Then I dressed the heads of CS bolts so they were flush with the guide plate. This prevents the hardened CS bolt heads chewing into the track guides. Attached are some photos for you to study.

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_7935.JPG

IMG_7936.JPG

IMG_7937.JPG

IMG_7938.JPG

IMG_7939.JPG

Sharp edge to be removed with the addition of a feed in plate.jpg

Modified LAR Sprocket2.jpg

Relief for grease nippleS.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 4:48 AM, Beepbeep said:

Ah you lucky man! could you tell me what thickness the rubber is? I haven't been able to find that info anywhere

@BeepbeepMy idler wheels and sprocket drive wheels came from Norway and after measuring the rubber tyre thickness I believe that the wheels may have been reconditioned in Norway post WW2 as opposed to being NOS. Anyway all rubber tyres are 5mm thick. Hope this helps👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2021 at 3:08 AM, Beepbeep said:

Seeing those shows just how worn my sprockets are, thanks for that. I’ve ordered a set from Accu-rite Machine works in California so hopefully that’ll be the first step in rectifying my problem. Thanks again

Does anyone have a web address or phone number for Accu-rite machine in California? I looked on the internet and can't find what looks right for them.

Mark

51 minutes ago, Lighthorse 31 said:

Does anyone have a web address or phone number for Accu-rite machine in California? I looked on the internet and can't find what looks right for them.

Mark

Hi Mark, they don’t appear to have a website, phone number is 559-292-6933. I bought my sprockets from them through eBay

Chris

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, Tomek said:

Hi Tomek, thanks for your post. I bought the sprockets on eBay but haven't fitted them yet. I've got to say yours look really worn for having only done 200 km, I asked a local machine shop about hardening when I bought them and they advised against it, guess I'll go back and see them 😞

Hello. Hardening is not the best solution - the gears cannot be too hard because then the tracks will wear out and they are more difficult to repair. I have to have a proper hardness check of the gears and track plates to choose the right hardness of the new gears               

• Like 1