New weasel project on the go

Byron

On 2/16/2021 at 8:32 AM, OZM29C said:

After driving it for the very first time I have to say that it is a most unusual vehicle but definitely lots of fun. Plenty of power. I can’t wait to swim it. Just doing the finishing up work on it now. Rear floor pan went in today. Some more jewellery needs to be fitted; ORD plate, Letterkenny rebuild plate. Cord o matic reel, spotlight handgrip and bracket, seat backs need new cushion foam glued on, more OD painting, stencils on, grease suspension, bogey wheel bearings and idler/drive wheel hubs, fit headlight bulb and fit single battery into the dual battery carrier. So still a way to go yet.

Your a brave man taking her for a swim. Your at the fun stages of fitting all the nice parts. Well done 

On 2/16/2021 at 11:13 AM, Patrick Tipton said:

I am going to clean up a few more welds on the lower hull and flip it so I can finish the inside.  I have the gas tank hat channels to install as well as tabs to hold the insulation panels.  I also need to test fit the controls again and install the support bracket for the cross shaft.  So a couple of solid days of details and a little bit of leading to remove the final couple of dents.  I should be on to the motor by March.....

Amazing Patric. I was in two minds about removing the Norwegian stretcher brackets and welding up the trailer socket. I was unsure what to do. I’ve kept them thinking it’s not factory, but it’s real history of what happened to them. If you want pictures of the tabs I’m happy to send some

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Byron said:

I was in two minds about removing the Norwegian stretcher brackets and welding up the trailer socket. I was unsure what to do. I’ve kept them thinking it’s not factory, but it’s real history of what happened to them. If you want pictures of the tabs I’m happy to send some

I know what you mean....I generally don't like removing the history, but I have seen so few correct T24's here in the states...maybe none?...that I thought it was worth it to try and get one back close to factory. 

I am making a list of the tabs....I appreciate the offer and will let you know.

Regards, Patrick

Another very productive weekend with Lots of jobs inside the hull completed.

I have to say she’s  been a dream to work on. I keep thinking to myself, “ what am I forgetting” this seems to be going together too straight forward.... 

Radiator support Pannel’s fitted. 
Tillers dropped in with no hassle and bolted in.
All linkage rods to the main linkage bar and gear box fitted. 
Regulator bolted in and wired up to the Dynamo. 
Two engine Pannel’s temporally fitted for wiring routes, fuel line routes and battery cable routes.
Fuel tank strapped in with all fixings fitted.  
Head lamp and side lights fitted and wired. Driver side Pannel dropped in.
Main wiring harness laid in and fully connected up to the dash. She turns over!!

I expected to scratch more paint putting in the drivers side Pannel. 

I hope you guys have had a good weekend! 

2F685662-A3B3-428A-BA78-3275FC6E18F1.jpeg

49677ADF-6D93-44C6-8845-9E53A359D2F5.jpeg

EC94ABE3-A8CB-4662-8A97-7CD91191EF29.jpeg

457123D9-8AB0-45AE-A091-8909C20E04A6.jpeg

E9E7048A-4C9C-44A2-8A3D-C0E56E45CD3D.jpeg

AC37536B-AD4B-4F20-B9B4-071FD73BAB8B.jpeg

8AB5D55A-32EE-409E-909E-A46919D80C31.jpeg

67E7F8AB-E150-4793-813B-888E5AC897DF.jpeg

2B04EE99-E915-4CE2-AA27-F7BC69466407.jpeg

688A6C17-EDAA-4454-928B-04840F25F55A.jpeg

FECC9E4C-2B86-44F2-915E-6D7E6BB3CB9F.jpeg

BDAB700C-65FD-43B1-96C1-2A25DD4BBA2D.jpeg

• Like 1

Last night wasn’t so productive. I caused more damage than good by breaking the tap off the bottom of the Radiator.

I was test fitting the rad and cowling for the second time after having a new cowling made. All painted up and bolted in well. When trying to fit the bottom radiator drain hose, she come clean off in my hands.... whoops! 
Looking at the break in the solder, I wouldn’t think much was holing it on of the original solder. 

I would like to thank Doug Mac McCarthy for lending me his cowling so I could have one reproduced. 🍻without it, we would have been stuck!

On a positive note :-
Another little adaptation to the weasel was fitting a solid bar right through both front stub axles as a tolerance fit. This should help to prevent either side bending and also ensured me that they are both still straight so I know she won’t pull to one side when driving her.

I hope you all have a better day

E83D3AF5-6BB2-411E-867C-11CF9187A37A.jpeg

C782C138-C518-4FA4-A45B-98594815F861.jpeg

82FDC859-B094-42B2-84E9-8295F1FAC94A.jpeg

BA66D351-EE8E-455F-ACA3-DAB6A1A678EB.jpeg

EB88337D-D330-40B0-B1C0-6B3E4BFFD588.jpeg

6EBEE951-A9CB-47F0-AD02-2131FFC1600B.jpeg

8A37C584-6A70-4E2C-8D1F-C6558DDC9DE2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Byron, I like the steel bar in the front stub axle to keep it straight. Is this area a known weak point. I never gave it any thought. It makes sense that if I drive into something or up a steep embankment undue pressure can be placed on that point. 
    Your cowling turned looks like it should. Great job. 
Fred

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 2:01 PM, F-D Zernia said:

Hi Byron, I like the steel bar in the front stub axle to keep it straight. Is this area a known weak point. I never gave it any thought. It makes sense that if I drive into something or up a steep embankment undue pressure can be placed on that point. 
    Your cowling turned looks like it should. Great job. 
Fred

Thanks Fred. 
Yes, I believe those sub axels pivot tubes are known for bending when hitting bums hard. When one is bent, the weasel will forever pull to one side so you will need to keep straightening up the weasel by pulling on a tiller. How annoying!

as you may know, I am running the Staman tracks, and these need to be run super tight as the centre track guides are half the height of the originals so the tracks are more likely to come off. By running the tracks tighter, reduces this risk.

hitting a bump with the tighter tracks is more likely to bend those stub axels.

father previously had a bent stub axle on his old weasel and it wouldn’t steer a straight line. Doug is also going through this problem currently both are/were running Staman tracks.

• Like 1

Super happy to be posting these videos.

The weasel ran amazing for her first main test run. 
She’s had a couple of backward and forward shunts on the drive previously but after that it was time to hit the open road with a tow vehicle behind following. (Dad) Peter Kay

She ran amazingly for the first 9 miles but for the final mile, she was missing terribly and I decided to get toed back the rest of the journey rather that to do any damage to the engine.

She drove straight and turned with little effort. 

After getting home I had a good check round. No oil leaks, no water leaks and the tracks kept their tension.
Compression tested each bore ranging from 125psi to 145psi
The engine ran at a constant temperature of 180 
Oil pressure at 15psi on idle and 40psi when driving.

I believe I’ve found the problem last night why she was missing so badly:- I took the dizzy cap off and turned the engine over with the ignition on. We are getting a spark between the points maybe once in every 3 turns of the dizzy. I think either the coil or condenser is breaking down. Any thoughts please?

I’m also proud to say mum did 1 mile of driving on country roads 💪👍

I still have a few more jobs on her until I’m completely satisfied. The stencils and canvas will be a nice summer day job with dad and a cold beer 

A small peace of history:- Those two concrete tracks I’m driving on were laid for the 10th armoured division where they were based ready to deploy for the Normandy invasion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OZM29C said:

@Byron Byron, does your weasel have the late production rear axle hub stay rods. That mod would also definitely help with the Staaman tracks. 

I don’t think so, would you mind showing me a picture of what they look like please John. And how do they work please?

6 hours ago, OZM29C said:

@Byron Byron, does your weasel have the late production rear axle hub stay rods. That mod would also definitely help with the Staaman tracks. 

Very cool - congratulations Byron!  Fantastic work.

That spark issue is strange.  Coils tend to be pretty binary in my experience...work or don't so I don't think that is your issue.  Condensers seem generally poorly made these days so I would try that first - I would also try at the spark plug end and see if you are getting regular spark at a couple of cylinders just to verify what you observed with the cap off....

7 hours ago, Byron said:

I don’t think so, would you mind showing me a picture of what they look like please John. And how do they work please?

@ByronHi Byron, the photos better show what I was describing. I was outbid on ebay years ago for these. Cheers

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600c.jpg

s-l1600k.jpg

s-l1600m.jpg

s-l1600v.jpg

s-l1600y.jpg

On 3/10/2021 at 3:26 PM, Patrick Tipton said:

Very cool - congratulations Byron!  Fantastic work.

That spark issue is strange.  Coils tend to be pretty binary in my experience...work or don't so I don't think that is your issue.  Condensers seem generally poorly made these days so I would try that first - I would also try at the spark plug end and see if you are getting regular spark at a couple of cylinders just to verify what you observed with the cap off....

Thank you Patric for your thoughts. Well without reading your post first, I’ve gone and change the coil first...... whoops.

Put it like this, if the coil doesn’t fix the Miss, I’ll be coming straight back to the condenser. In my opinion it’s either the coil or the condenser.

im enjoying you videos. I can’t wait to see paint on your beast

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 10:50 PM, OZM29C said:

@ByronHi Byron, the photos better show what I was describing. I was outbid on ebay years ago for these. Cheers

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600c.jpg

s-l1600k.jpg

s-l1600m.jpg

s-l1600v.jpg

s-l1600y.jpg

They are interesting John. This weasel or the last two didn’t have these. If I’m honest, I don’t even know how they work. 
thanks for sharing 

Hi Byron, the videos looked like your enjoying the ride. She sure sounds different with those tracks. It reminds me of studded snow tire hum on the pavement. 
    I’m including a picture of the stay rods on our machine before disassembly.  It was a mod to about the last 1000 weasels. Maybe a weakness was noticed on the final drive. Thats why I posted about the cracks or casting marks on the webbing of my final drive case. It certainly would beef up the back like you strengthen the front snubs for the idler. Especially if you tighten the tracks more that usual. 
Fred

65D8764C-A2E9-4EEA-BA25-7675C4833DB5.png

Today has been a success 👍
The engine Miss was due to an aftermarket condenser being a very loose fit in the holder that secures it to the dissy base plate. The book clearly states it needs to all be clean for a good ground. 
After making sure the condenser was a tight fit in the holder, the engine purrs like a kitten.
It did take a few process of elimination tests before we got to this.

Another 15 miles completed today around our local area including down to Brixham breakwater slipway. This was one of the largest slipways purposely built in 1943 to accommodate 3 LST’s for loading and unloading ready for Operation Overlord. A house at the top of the slope down to the slip way was taken down to get the heavier vehicles around the tight bend. The B&W Picture is of Brixham slip during the war.

Taking Mum out in the weasel really made her
Mother’s Day, she loves it

The next trip will be Slapton Sands where operation Tiger was carried out to get a picture next to the Sherman tank memorial.

A few more jobs completed including changing the thermostat from a 180f to a 160f, fitting some more data plates and another full grease.

I want to do a few more miles before fitting the last Center plate to enable easy adjustments. We are looking forward to fitting the new seat covers and bases from Allied Forces Jim Clark

Hope you’ve all had a good weekend

48A3D77C-2F2C-4E7E-985E-9D0032527960.jpeg

E8D79D3B-B2C9-457B-AB4A-5359C80C1AB6.jpeg

2BACD1FF-4121-4B10-91FA-2ED768D2C462.jpeg

1CE07ADA-EAD8-4BF5-8A78-CAF1B12C810B.jpeg

B08D9A0F-9237-4B5C-8D03-8ADF3F1574D1.jpeg

03C88715-FBCD-48CC-BB4A-DD3749325B00.png

On 3/12/2021 at 11:50 PM, 5280Beltfed said:

Run the engine in the dark to see if you spot any plug wires arcing. Mine did that on the speedo. Drove me nuts....

porter

Thanks mate. I tried lots of fault finding and it was the condenser was loose in the retaining clip. After I found this it sorted the problem with no hesitation. 

On 3/12/2021 at 11:09 PM, F-D Zernia said:

Hi Byron, the videos looked like your enjoying the ride. She sure sounds different with those tracks. It reminds me of studded snow tire hum on the pavement. 
    I’m including a picture of the stay rods on our machine before disassembly.  It was a mod to about the last 1000 weasels. Maybe a weakness was noticed on the final drive. Thats why I posted about the cracks or casting marks on the webbing of my final drive case. It certainly would beef up the back like you strengthen the front snubs for the idler. Especially if you tighten the tracks more that usual. 
Fred

65D8764C-A2E9-4EEA-BA25-7675C4833DB5.png

Thank you for posting this. This is the first time i have ever seen these in action. I like the idea. I bet these are rare