OZM29C

Didn't get a lot done on the weasel this weekend. Unusually though, it rained and it washed the dust off the assorted panels I have sitting outside in the weasel hull waiting to be taken in for sandblasting. I noticed the faint traces of lettering on one of the bow water deflector panels (sits behind the surfshield). Grabbed my magnifying glass and and ink pen and traced out what I could see. Picture syas it all. I wonder if this was amilitary or civilian rescue vehicle? I also assembled the upper capstan winch drive.

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3810.JPG

• Like 2

On the weekend I managed to get some more small parts painting done which in turn allowed me to assemble the clutch and accelerator pedal assembly. I also got the final drive fully disassembled to clean out the Rat detritus. The leaves and grunge in the photos are just a fraction of what I found inside when I split the final drive casings.

IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3834.JPG

Hot off the production line are the two small air deflectors that are never seen. I have beadblasted and painted the metal angle pieces, cut out new felt strips and then attached them to the angle pieces using facsimile staples with a bit of help from some silicon.

Another tick in the box.

24 June 2020 (1).JPG

24 June 2020 (2).JPG

Didn’t get a lot of weasel work done on the weekend as I did a 1200km down and back round trip to Sydney on Saturday. Today I took all of the remaining weasel sheet metal, brackets, bows etc into the Sandblaster. Should have the gear back in two weeks. I also fitted and bent the fuel tank and fuel filter drain lines. I have taken them off now so that I can bead blast and etch prime them.

030F13E4-CA84-499C-BE4C-9E6D22DF99A4.jpeg

Its the small jobs that take time to complete. Here is the final drive speedometer drive and housing. Cleaned, bead blasted, etch primed, new gasket cut (same thickness as original) gasket and mud wasp nests evicted from the speedometer drive shaft.

1 july 2020 (1).JPG

Edited by OZM29C
Spelling
  • Like 1

The show goes on. Today's instalment is the high low range selector from the final drive. Disassembled, cleaned, bead blasted, etch primed, assembled and a new gasket cut. I noted when cleaning it that the initial coat of paint was grey, then OD covered in a liberal coated of cosmoline preservative.

3 July 2020 (2).JPG

3 July 2020 (1).JPG

Moving forward. The first photo shows the leading casing of the final drive resplendent in a coat of etch primer after steam cleaning and spot blasting. Now I can start to assemble the final drive. The second photo shows before and after photos of the fuel filter that I had to revisit. I wrongly plumbed up the fuel filter for an electric in tank fuel pump, not the mechanical pump that I have fitted to my weasel. The fuel filter will be ready to go when the orange epoxy dries.

7july20 (1).JPG

Fuel filters 002.jpg

7 July 2020 (2).JPG

I had planned to partially assemble the final drive this weekend but I was unhappy with the deep pitting in the larger pinion bearing cup. I have decided to replace both the pinion cup and cone. Getting the cone off the pinion shaft was a time consuming adventure. My angle grinder proved to be just the tool I needed to get the cone off. I then assembled one of the front idler wheels. I have purposely left the outer rim off the assembly until I fit the tracks. Regrettably the time has come to retire my favourite weasel fest ball caps. They gave sterling service 🙂

IMG_3842.JPG

IMG_3844.JPG

IMG_3839.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ouch!😲. Just picked up my weasel final drive pinion replacement bearing this arvo. Cost me $160Aud. I asked if it came gold plated. I would have preferred a high quality Japanese Koyo brand bearing but I will make do with a Timken as it is the only bearing available at short notice.

107569666_10217087746642120_6046946373427197055_o.jpg

On 7/14/2020 at 10:12 PM, F-D Zernia said:

John. You sure are inspirational. I will use this and Patrick’s posts as a template when the time is right. I really appreciate everyone sharing the knowledge as this is all new to me. I’m thinking I’m going to need a bigger shop!

Fred

Thanks for the BZ Fred👍 I am uploading my weasel restoration blog to this forum for that very reason. Other like minded weasel enthusiasts can use this forum then as a reference tool. I like the FB forum to keep in contact socially with other weasel owners but FB can be difficult to search for information.

Another weekend report. Saturday, I assembled the High/Low range gearing in the final drive. Just waiting now on a bearing before I can assembled the crown wheel, planetary gears and brake bands. Today I assembled the orther idler wheel. I would recommend that you make a seal press tool to asembled both the seal and inner bearing. See photo. It makes the job so easy. Also you can't go past the Gary's Bunker Thrust Washer kit: https://www.garysbunker.com/shop/m29-parts/thrust-lock-dust-shield-kit/

IMG_3849.JPG

IMG_3847.JPG

IMG_3848.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another big weekend of work on the weasel. The engine cover is finished. The stencils came from https://www.axholmesigns.co.uk/

All of the data and ORD plates were missing on my weasel so I had new plates made back in 2000. My plates are not the Polish repos seen on Ebay. I substituted a rubber extrusion for the engine cover seal in lieu of the original canvas seal. I did have a NOS seal but when I tried to unroll it, it just cracked into pieces rendering it totally useless. The Rubber seal is not original but it is very practical.

1 and 2 August 2020 (4).jpg

• Like 1

The dashboard is starting to come together nicely. A few more items of Jewellery need to be added to finish it off. Again I used a rubber extrusion to seal the engine cover in lieu of the original canvas. The female socket plugs are from @Rob W Rob Walsh. Rob kindly forwarded the sockets to Vintage Wiring of Maine ( I believe that the business has been sold on to these fellows; https://vintagewiring.com/)

where they incorporated the sockets into a new wiring harness. There is a rectangular cut out in the dash panel that is used for the modified accelerator linkage.

1 and 2 August 2020 (3).jpg

• Like 1

The inner engine bay panel has had the felt retaining staples removed and multiple holes were drilled to secure the felt with fasteners. This modification was done long before I got the panel. Rather than try to weld up the multiple holes I decided to just fabricate some retaining strips and retaining rings to better hold the felt and rubber extrusion. Not original but will do the job.

3 August 2020.JPG

• Like 1