OZM29C

John,

It’s looking great. I like how you describe bolting up the rear float tank like a circus performer. I wondered how that was done. Maybe a grandchild should be recruited for that task. Don’t tell grandma until it’s done.  
    I do have a question on the felt gaskets for the axle tubes. I do not see much instruction on how to change that seal. Again with a felt plumbing seal I will try to manufacture the new part. I saw what seemed like a retainer for the seal. If so how would I remove without damaging it. Or is it as obvious as hooking the old felt to remove it and slip the new one in. I have some ideas but would like to not damage anything so it may be measured to duplicate. Thank you. 
Fred

50 minutes ago, F-D Zernia said:

John,

It’s looking great. I like how you describe bolting up the rear float tank like a circus performer. I wondered how that was done. Maybe a grandchild should be recruited for that task. Don’t tell grandma until it’s done.  
    I do have a question on the felt gaskets for the axle tubes. I do not see much instruction on how to change that seal. Again with a felt plumbing seal I will try to manufacture the new part. I saw what seemed like a retainer for the seal. If so how would I remove without damaging it. Or is it as obvious as hooking the old felt to remove it and slip the new one in. I have some ideas but would like to not damage anything so it may be measured to duplicate. Thank you. 
Fred

Hi Fred, @F-D ZerniaThe felt retainer can be easily removed with a sharp pointed instrument like a scriber or dental pick. No need to remove the retaining collar. Attached are a couple photos showing the dimensions of the NOS felt seals I have. I hope that they will help. As for a circus performer, reaching down to the lower retainer bolts through the upper access hatch without falling in headfirst is challenging if you don't have long arms 😀 Cheers

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

John, Thanks for the dimensions on the felt. I will try something unconventional but if it works it’s worth it. My final drive housing will be back from sand blasting and I want to install it so things will move along again. Funny you took a break when it was 40C and too hot to work. Today we are 0C and I was dressed and ready for the worst. I had grinding for another project outside and wasn’t worth turning on heat in the shop for anything else. 
    I wanted to mention I have a Sister that moved to Australia in 1974 and just retired from teaching last year. They live in Bundoora, Victoria. I know it’s your summer but in Wisconsin, USA winter is just kicking in. Good time for Weasel projects. Thanks for the pictures. 
Fred

51 minutes ago, Byron said:

Looking good John, thank you for the pictures👍I hope you have a good Christmas working on her

cheers, Byron

Thanks Byron,

Merry Christmas to you and your family as well. I am working on installing the tracks at the moment. I am only part way through fitting the first track so no photos as yet. One thing I have found that its bloody hard work fitting a track by myself. Anyway I have got the Xmas New Year break to progress this task. Long term, the engine install comes after the tracks. Cheers John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Tipton said:

Merry Christmas John!  You really are getting close with the tracks going on. 

Regards, Patrick

Yes Patrick @Patrick Tipton the weasel is really starting to come together now. I may not comment much on your T24 hull repair workmanship but rest assured I do follow your progress. Well done on your efforts to finally wrap up the hull repairs.

Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a safe, happy and prosperous New Year. Cheers John

• Like 1

First LAR track is on, just need to tension the track. Bloody hard work to fit a track by myself. I am glad that I ‘invested’ in the LAR track as I do intend to operate my Weasel in the water. A thrown track in the water would be catastrophic. New track will give me piece of mind. I am hoping the second track will be easier to fit now I know the shortcuts. The resto gets more interesting after the tracks, the engine and transmission go into the hull. Merry Christmas to all. LARtrack.thumb.jpeg.434885a8b8d0423da70383a70cade3a0.jpeg

• Like 1

After two days of bloody hard work I have finally mounted the passenger side LAR track and also I have tensioned both of the tracks. I don't have a tension gauge as shown in the TM so I have had to wing it to tension the tracks. What I have now is the idler springs stop brackets (the brackets  that mount to the hull with two bolts and the unusual heavy duty lockwashers) set in their minimum position. This has left the LAR track with little flop between the return rollers and both the leading and final bogey wheels are about 50mm (2inches) off the ground. Of interst the track tension has pulled the the suspension springs and bogey wheels into perpendicular alignment. Now onto the engien and transmission install. I would imagine that there will be some stretch in the tracks when I start to use the weasel.

IMG_3892.JPG

One thing I did to put the LAR track on mine by myself was to remove 5 of the center guides this allowed me to hang it on the sprocket first then with 3 come a longs holding up the the track (makes it easier for getting it over the upper guide rollers) I was then able to slide the track on over the front idler. My tracks were extremely tight but once on look good. Oh another thing don't jack up to high just enough to get the track guides under the bogeys. If you are jacked up your track sag will make it harder to put on, 

Dan

Edited by M29

1 hour ago, M29 said:

One thing I did to put the LAR track on mine by myself was to remove 5 of the center guides this allowed me to hang it on the sprocket first then with 3 come a longs holding up the the track (makes it easier for getting it over the upper guide rollers) I was then able to slide the track on over the front idler. My tracks were extremely tight but once on look good. Oh another thing don't jack up to high just enough to get the track guides under the bogeys. If you are jacked up your track sag will make it harder to put on, 

Dan

Thanks @M29 Dan, I too found the LAR track as being a tight fit and like you I had a selection of ratchets straps, an engine hoist and various pry bars to get the track on. Oh and plenty of thinking time 😀.

Today I have achieved another major milestone in that I now have the engine lifted into place. BTW, the engine will go in with the transmission in place but as Elmer Fudd used to say; 'Be very very careful'. I used my portable gantry to do the lift. Now onto the interesting work (Finally)

IMG_3895.JPG

IMG_3896.JPG

IMG_3897.JPG

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Byron said:

Wow John.... What a nice mile stone! 👍

did you remove the gear box to get the engine in? 

@Byron Nope, as Elmer Fudd said 'Be vewy vewy careful'. I had the engine and transmission on a slight angle down at the transmission end and then gently fed the transmission under the engine bulhead while manipulating the water pump to clear the fan shroud and radiator inlet. I don't think you would be able to use this method with the later T90 transmission.

6 hours ago, Jesse Browning said:

Now the fun part of trying to install all the impossible to reach parts the engineers added after the vehicle was designed. 😆

@Jesse BrowningI had a small taste of those pleasures yesterday when I installed the front engine mouting bolts. They must have employed height challenged assembly workers at Studebaker to get into these tight spots😀.